Torrential rain - now struggles to idle/dies

https://vidd.me/YXr - video of it running, dies right near the end. 

Hauled my bike cross country and it was exposed to the elements. I checked the forecast and there was no rain in it so I did not cover it. Well the forecast was wrong.

I would say it had about an hour of absolute torrential rain. The thing has never had a starting/idle problem but as soon as I took it off the trailer it had trouble turning over but did a little better when I gave it some throttle. 

Once started the idle was very rough and low, and after a few seconds it died.

I got it started and rode it about a half mile, getting up to maybe 50. It pulled fine but would die once I pulled the clutch in. Elevation change between the two locations is only about 1000 feet.

What should I be concerned about? Check out first? Could something have vibrated loose or tight while on the trip that could be doing this as opposed to the rain?

Thanks in advance, was really looking forward to taking it out tomorrow but now really bummed.

Edited by GeologyRocks

I also noticed during the drive while at the gas station....that the carb was slowly dripping fuel from whatever screw looking thing hangs down from the very bottom of the carb. Donno what that's about either. I checked all hoses and they seemed tight. 

77NOyA3.jpg

Checked the airbox/filter - bone dry

The fuel seemed to be slowly dripping from the yellow onto the yellow - not sure where the leak is originating though, just that it is literally dripping from that screw lookin thing.

If I try and drail the bowl, the red is the drain screw and below that is where the actual fuel comes out, right? Is there a specific procedure for draining it? Or just leave as is and make sure petcock is ON? What about restarting after bowl has been drained?

If fuel is dripping from the yellow to yellow then you have a problem.either the fuel screw has vibrated so loose that fuel is getting passed the o- ring or the o- ring is in need of replacing.try turning in the fuel screw till it bottoms out. Count how many turns it was out.

The yellow circle on top is the fuel screw. It shouldn't be leaking. Screw it in all the way and count the turns. It should be 2.5 to 2.75 turns. Then unscrew it back 2.5-2.75 turns from fully tightened. If it still drips then you will need to completely unscrew it and replace the o ring. You can find the right size in any old box of o rings, just make sure they are gasoline resistant (Buna-N/Nitrile).

Loosen the red screw to drain the carb and it will come out of the nipple right below that.

AM Update:

1) Fired right up this morning, idled fine for about 30 seconds....then began to get weak and went through the same routine. Dying idle and then stall.

2) I drained the bowl, to my untrained eye it looked a little light in color but I'll let you be the judge.

What now?

8bVAjaa.jpg

Edited by GeologyRocks

Just swapped out fuel - no dice. Ran for about a minute with really random/weak idle then died.

https://vidd.me/YXr - video of it running, dies right near the end. 

Maybe you can hear it on that vid - not sure as my speakers don't work. 

Edit: If I keep giving it RPM it wont die. It only dies when the clutch is pulled in or in neutral.

Edited by GeologyRocks

Your idle adjuster is just dangling against the case. I'm willing to bet that the drive messed with your idle.

If the bracket isn't there to hold the idle knob, you could have some loose float bowl screws or have them in the wrong spot. Long one is supposed to hold up the idle knob.

Your idle adjuster is just dangling against the case. I'm willing to bet that the drive messed with your idle.

If the bracket isn't there to hold the idle knob, you could have some loose float bowl screws or have them in the wrong spot. Long one is supposed to hold up the idle knob.

I just adjusted the knob to the point where it's high enough that it wont die. However, it seems to go from that point right back to the original idling issues without any middle ground.

I also noticed that the exhaust definitely smells funny, though I can't quite tell what it is. 

Edited by GeologyRocks

i would guess multiple issues .. if its anything like mine it seems to get water in the fuel if it gets soaked around the cap ..  every time .. its not easy to get rid of once water gets in the system, and it doesnt take much .. a couple of small drops bouncing around in a float bowl can mess it up, and if theres a 'puddle' in the tank, or condensation even, it could take quite a few 'drainings' of the float bowl to get it out completely .. lets put it this way, if you turned the tank up to dump it out of the fill hole its likely theres still moisture in it giving you hell .. its better to let the bike settle and put the petcock to prime and drain it with it leaned on the kickstand ... i imagine bad gas could be a similar problem ..

.. but the carb looks like it needs rebuilding to, i would go through it and make sure first of all everything is there, nothing is buggered up, and redo all the gaskets, jets ect .. and just keep flushing that floatbowl until all the hiccups are gone ..

The fact that it fired up immediately and idled normally for a minute this morning gives me some hope. I have drained the float a few times and did empty the tank through the petcock. Didn't see any improvement with the new gas. Going to try new oil tomorrow.