Sign in to follow this  

new to ktm....2009 300 XC

finally picked up a bike I've been wanting for a long time....first ever KTM for me......buddy brought it up from the states and said it was an XC....but it has the original manuals and stuff and it looks like it might actually be an XCW

came with a full dual sport setup on it too....well not hooked up but in a box with a shitload of wiring harness.....missing a kickstand though

I do have a DRZ400S still at the moment too but that's going to be supermoto trim only for a while

anyway here's a few pics

22222_zps5e3c1caa.jpg

3232123_zps0d9e9fc3.jpg

1111_zps9fc8c556.jpg

234234321_zpsd045cb49.jpg

Looks like the previous owner was really into appearance packages!  The bike looks low hour, judging from the clutch cover wear.  Is that a painted procircuit pipe?

an xcw should have the KTM odometer, the XC did not.  Doesn't mean the previous owner could not have removed it.  There is a place you can check the VIN number to get exactly what it is, I do not know the site though.

it does have an odometer and speedometer, its all in a box, i'm working on putting it back together to stockish trim

where would I find information on the forks ? I gave them a look and didn't see anything

not to be a nerd, but it looks to me as if the rear axle in installed incorrectly....Nut on the brake side....

Holy crap...lol....you must have studied those pics to catch that...I had too enlarge the pics to see but you are right it is wrong!

• Like 1

xcw fork adjusters

just installed the wiring harness tonight...well tried to anyway....it rolls over like crap....sometimes it locks and doesn't turnover....then I tried the headlight...worked great till the fuse blew....damn thing....I have two  harnesses that came with it, trying to figure it all out

I just got one as well -- tho mine's way less purty!

Looking to add a brake light so I can connect dual sport trails on gravel. Enduro Engineering has a new tail section with a light, I see. Do I need anything else, such as the harness they sell, relays, etc?

have you ridden it yet??

I am looking to step up from my DRZ 400s to one of these rascals, wondering if i can handle it or not!

I have ridden it. Holy Friggin' Moley! :-)

The part I didn't realize (until reading the manual) is that the KTM 300 XCW (and a few other KTM smokers) have two ways to "subdue" the fearsome wheel lofting power. :-)

The first is to disconnect a mapping wire that gives you soft or hard power. The second is to choose between three different spring rates for the power valve (meaning full power on the power valve is possible to not be achieved until 1k RPM higher on the softest setting).

I recommend the JD Jetting kit (or possibly a Suzuki needle, as has been posted here elsewhere), as the stock needle for some earlier models (and maybe later?) is not good at 1/8 throttle and a 38 Pilot Jet.

This thing is a tractor OR a GTO depending on what you want it to be... Choose wisely, but choose it! :-)

I have ridden it. Holy Friggin' Moley! :-)

The part I didn't realize (until reading the manual) is that the KTM 300 XCW (and a few other KTM smokers) have two ways to "subdue" the fearsome wheel lofting power. :-)

The first is to disconnect a mapping wire that gives you soft or hard power. The second is to choose between three different spring rates for the power valve (meaning full power on the power valve is possible to not be achieved until 1k RPM higher on the softest setting).

I recommend the JD Jetting kit (or possibly a Suzuki needle, as has been posted here elsewhere), as the stock needle for some earlier models (and maybe later?) is not good at 1/8 throttle and a 38 Pilot Jet.

This thing is a tractor OR a GTO depending on what you want it to be... Choose wisely, but choose it! :-)

So I was also wondering which bike I'd bought. It's supposed to be an 09 250xc which is what it says on the registration. Unfortunately the sticker on the frame is worn off. It has xc/w open cartridge forks with the rebound on top and the preload adjustment. But it also has the adjustable steering head angle which the manual says only comes on the xc. I was wondering if there was any other way to check? Or if its possible an xc came with the open chamber forks? I'm good either way xc or w just curious. 

Thanks