Sign in to follow this  

Rm 85 17" wheel and disc brakes on small 125

My son decided to see what was stronger a tree or his drz 125. Tree won. He's fine, the little DRZ is not. It needs forks and a new wheel. Having trouble finding a 17" drum brake wheel without breaking the bank. Don't want to go crazy $$ with the rm85 fork and swing arm upgrade. He'll probably be riding my old 85L in a year or so, anyways. I found a rm 85 17" wheel and disc brakes(rotor, caliper, mc) from a 03 and forks from a 05 DRZ 125L(disc brake model). All for less than $150. I understand I may need a different rotor, that's not a big issue. That way he gets better braking, that he obviously needs, and keeps the stock height. Or am I completely wrong?

Most of the fork swaps done on these bikes use a RM/KX 85/100 front end and the stock rear wheel. I snagged a KX100 front end w/ brake system and rear shock for $240.

The RM/KX forks are longer than stock DRZ forks so geometry changes are required. Hope that helps.

I snagged a whole, but very broken, KX100 for $200 a few years ago. IMHO, it's a massive improvement for the suspension on an otherwise bulletproof trail bike.

But the L forks may work with the RM wheel, I don't know off the top of my head. If the wheel is the same diameter, you can slide the forks up in the trees to make the bike level, although there are limits to how far you can slide them up without interfering with the bars.