Sign in to follow this  

In need of diesel tech advice!

Ok guys I have a early to mid 90s GHEL 4610 with a Perkins 4cylinder diesel I use for my track and it started having issues with its file system. I investigated common things like maybe water in the tank and lines and they are all good one injector leaks a tiny bit but its been like that for a few years. The pump could be bad but pumps are expensive and I wouldn't think it's be bad and the fuel filter may be stopped up but I'm gonna put the new one in tomorrow. It's always had great power no lug or loss itl go along fine when it starts the dies and if it sits for a month you can get it to turn over and start if your good with it it'll idle long enough to run. If anyone could help diagnose the problem it's greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401586866.477050.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401586918.773123.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401586958.475586.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401586979.624496.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401587000.743929.jpg

~Yz426F&Crf250R~

Replace fuel filter first. If that doesn't worm, put a clear piece of hose on the fuel line going to injection pump and see if it is getting air in the fuel.

Pomoco is right on the money.  It sounds like a fuel supply problem.  Bad filter, bad lift pump, cracked fuel suction lines letting air in or a clogged pickup in tank.  Could even be a chunk crap floating around in the fuel tank and getting sucked into the pickup tube after it has run for awhile.  

First thing I would test is the transfer pump pressure. Usually 6-9 psi for diaphragm pumps and 25 for piston pumps. hard to tell from the pictures but do you have a Lucas injection pump with a gear transfer pump? If the pressure is low  close off the return line and if it builds to normal or above levels look at the regulator on the injection pump outlet.

Does it smoke? Black or white? Is it low on power? Can you be more detailed on the symptoms? 

Look for a tag on the engine and one on the injection pump, let me know the model ad serial number.

The valves have been checked but I'm not too worried about it because Perkins are good engines

I'll use some of halls advice on the lines tomorrow and see if itll fire

I'll get the pump name while I'm at it but it has absolutely no power loss other than starting it never smoked much

Ok all the injectors are getting fuel fresh diesel I got all air out of my lines and it cranks over and puts little whit clouds out so I'm guessing if I spray a little starter fluid it'll start

There should be a fuel return line from the moter to the fuel tank . Crack your forth injector and kink your return line . Be ready to tighten the injector . Have someone crank it over and if it starts tighten injector then let go of return line.