Sign in to follow this  

Is the 2014 YZ250F as good as it seems?

Yeah I know.  The bikes racing the nationals are not the bikes we buy off the floor but holy crap!  It intrigued me when it was the talk of the 250 shootouts.  The engine power, fuel injection, reverse engine, stock suspension etc receive top marks.  After watching Jeremy Martin on rails and Cooper Webb blow by green and red bikes on massive uphills I can't help but think some of those traits may be found on one off the floor.  The guys are all saying the right things too, The bike is good....even from Pourcel.  I'm on a KTM 350 and although I like the bike a lot my favorite bike to ride is my 125 ktm smoker because its so light and easy to throw around.  At 52 I am more about suspension and handling than power.  So let's hear it.  Brag about yours if you have one.  I would especially interested in those that could compare the KTM 350 to the new YZ250.   

I'm 52 and hit the scales at 215 lbs.,,,I can't make a fair comparison between bike's as this is my first 4 stroke and never owned a KTM, but the 14 250 F is a solid ride so far,  the suspension is top notch, throttle response is spot on and the bike feel's more like my YZ 125 in the weight dept. For me,,the handling is perfect, I ride mx at a decent speed and honestly could not ask for more out of 250 F (still trying to get use to engine braking though). The shrouds seem a bit wide at first, but after putting a little time on the bike it's a NO issue, Yamaha is definitely on the right path with this design and the bike's look great pulling off 1-2-3 at the Nationals. :thumbsup:   For what it's worth,, I'm a proud owner and very pleased.  

Edited by Alan48
  • Like 1

Proud owner here in minn-e-soooda!! (Half an hour from Millville/Martins place!! Plus50 A level offroad guy here, and Mx track practicer....have ridden 13/14 350sx/xc....I like the yz waaaaay better!! First off, it feels 25 lbs lighter and IS like 15....2nd the motor is livelier and more fun....then there is the suspension!! No brainier for me. There have been a couple annoyances....the shift stopper part has been updated and water pump shaft about to be, but don't let it stop ya from getting one!!

• Like 1

It has done nothing but rain since I picked up my 14 250f so I can't give a full review yet. Just fooling around behind my yard I can say this bike will pull out of 3rd gear from a crawl and spin right up like my yz450f. It is very 450 like, no bog or falling on its face. I remember the ktm 350 I rode didn't come alive until I revved it to the top. I also agree that the yz250f feels 125ish as far as weight goes. I'm looking forward to getting some real seat time.

The biggest advantage of the Yamaha is the intake port it has the straightest shot @ the piston of all the F models .it also comes with cams that are pretty much maxed out for the head in its stock configuration .martins bike has larger Kawasaki style lifters and cams with less duration but more lobe area .The Kawasaki port is faily straight but of a poor desighn the Honda has the best desighn for a semi down draft and also has the advantage of being tipped another 7 degrees with out moveing the tb position .Yamaha built a real race bike this time .

• Like 3

I feel like there are a million of these threads with the same title lol. Anyways, it is pretty awesome. My favorite thing(s) about the new bike are the motor and the light overall feel of the bike. The motor is so gnarly for a stock 250F. It blows the previous motor away and revs super fast. The new bike is actually heavier than the old bike but when ridden back to back, actually feels lighter and livelier in general. My only complaint is that it is not the most confidence inspiring in the corners. It's a tad unpredictable and seems to search for a line more than the previous bike. Also, it's a tad large/wide feeling for my tastes. Overall sick bike though.

• Like 1

Even though it's the pros' bikes and not showroom, it's refreshing ditching the "old uncompetitive non-EFI" mantra for comments based on the stock bike's prowess being the best foundation for Martin and Webb.

I'm 45 and use mine for hare scrambles mainly, with recreational mx track use. I sold my 05 yz125 that I had set up for similar use and I'm extremely happy that I did. The new 250f feels as light and maneuverable as my 125 but with way more power and torque. There is no bog anywhere and it hits hard and pulls right from the bottom on up. The suspension is definitely better for the MX track and I'm going to have mine re-valved for the woods. I have no complaints with mine at all. I'm running 110mm of rear sag and the forks raised in the clamps 10mm and my bike carves corners with authority. I find I can get forward on the bike easier and that plants the front end well. I personally feel that if someone has concerns about how their bike corners, that it's probably something in the suspension settings and/or riding position, more than the bike design itself. I'm honestly not surprised that the Yamaha's are performing as well as they are in MX.

• Like 1

I wanna try one of these bikes out.. Im on a 350 as well and its been great but always been on yammis for bikes and sleds etc.. My yz450 was great but wasnt using all of the motor I just race vet mx up here. I have to rev the 350 out so should be similar as the yz250 id think.. I tried a kx250f other day it was the last carb model wasnt impressed power wise  and the brakes were terrible but it did handle and feel light  ..Just worried it wont have enough bottom end and the brembo brakes are so good on the ktm i weigh 195 .. Need to try one i guess 

• Like 1

I weigh 190 without gear and the bike pulls hard. I'm looking at racing vet class mx at some point and am not worried about running with 450s as I'm pretty sure I can hold my own on this bike.

I feel like there are a million of these threads with the same title lol. Anyways, it is pretty awesome. My favorite thing(s) about the new bike are the motor and the light overall feel of the bike. The motor is so gnarly for a stock 250F. It blows the previous motor away and revs super fast. The new bike is actually heavier than the old bike but when ridden back to back, actually feels lighter and livelier in general. My only complaint is that it is not the most confidence inspiring in the corners. It's a tad unpredictable and seems to search for a line more than the previous bike. Also, it's a tad large/wide feeling for my tastes. Overall sick bike though.

It must be riding/cornering technique. I am finding it much better in corners than my 08. I also don't feel like I have to get up on the tank as far as I used to to plant the bike in a corner. I feel like I'm riding on rails with it.

It must be riding/cornering technique. I am finding it much better in corners than my 08. I also don't feel like I have to get up on the tank as far as I used to to plant the bike in a corner. I feel like I'm riding on rails with it.

I didn't like the way the 06-09 YZF cornered either, for what it is worth. But I dunno, not saying the 14 handles bad or anything. It flicks side to side so awesome and feels so agile, which I love. But I just felt like the front end searches for a line and is somewhat unpredictable. Track conditions could also be a factor.

• Like 1

The nearest Blue dealer is out of the 14's but the 15's will be arriving late summer/early fall.  I think I'm in.  I like the comments heard here......especially about the suspension and the bike feeling lighter than it is.  The 350 is a great bike but a bit unpredictable at times.  We are not getting along right now as it bucked me off a couple of weeks ago and I broke ribs, scapula, dislocated collarbone, and punctured a lung.  I've never trusted the front end as it tends to be very busy at times.  I can't ride for a while so I can wait for the 15's to arrive. Thanks for all the feedback.   

http://racerxonline.com/2014/06/05/yamaha-unveils-2015-yz-line

I will give you that I am 15 weigh about 185 and THIS BIKE RIPS. It pulls hard everywhere and is an absolute trump over my cousins modded '12 that he's traded in for the '14. I have raced before and Yes this bike is competitive against 450s if you ride hard. Most people complain that this bike has the tendancey to stand up in the corners and yes it does sometimes but the way I combat that is to commit to the rut and get the rear planted and don't be afraid of the throttle. The suspension s great too if I come up a little short on something the back end doesn't fly up or squirm at all. And if you're trail riding this isn't something many people talk about but this bike gets like 3 hours on a tank.