Sign in to follow this  

New 2014 200 Xcw help

Hey all,

After almost a year of research and thinking, I bought myself a brand new 200 Xcw. I should have the bike in about 2-3 days. This is my first 2 stroke bike & I'm looking for some tips on maintenance & mixing fuel, any helpful advice in general would be appreciated. Anything anybody would like to warn me about? Anything specific I should look out for regarding riding or maintenance? My biggest concern is the power being very on/off or like a light switch. I heard it's not too bad from some people & others have called it a rocket. I'm very excited to get on the bike but I'd like a heads up about the bike being very snappy or anything like that. If it helps any my only riding experience is on a klx250s, Im tearing the guts out of the klx and decided I want something much more powerful and lighter. I'm 6'2" & 190 lbs. I ride (or try to) deep mud and big rocks, and lots and lots of loose gravel & rocks. Any general information at all from somebody with experience on this bike or previous years of this model is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trevor

The 200 will certainly be more nimble and race oriented than your KLX. 

The answers to your concerns will come AFTER you ride the bike a few times, get used to the character before you make any changes.

Jetting will have a large impact on power delivery. There are many options depending on how you ride that can make your riding experience better suited. The stock OEM needle is great for MX or an aggressive rider. The JD Jetting kit is better suited for all around or technical trail.

As you become more aquainted with the bike, changes to the power valve, gearing, pipe, engine mods are all options. KTM has a 2 position CDI timing option called race and rain mode. Many buy a switch and mount on the bars, otherwise you have to pull the gas tank and unplug and plug a gray wire which is a p.i.a. if you like to switch during a ride.

Jeez, what is it with all these posts I'm seeing with big, heavy, tall guys buying these 200cc and under bikes? I'm 150 lbs and can't imagine being on something that small after riding my 300.

Congrats on the purchase Trevor. Just do some reading here and learn how to tune it for the power and response out of it that you want.

There are a few things to watch out for. The kick starter and shifter bolts need to be re-torqued after every ride for a while. They will come loose if you don't check them. The most important thing that I can tell you is this. DON'T USE THE RIGHT HAND SIDE DRAIN PLUG!!! Only use the left hand side drain plug that has the magnet on it.

If you do take the RIGHT HAND side drain plug off re-torque it to 11ft.lbs. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. It strips easily if you over torque it. Torque the left hand side drain bolt to 15ft.lbs. NO MORE!

The stock jetting that the bike will come with is for 2000' at 70°. If you are not at 2000' and/or it is not 70° you will need to re-jet your bike. That means all the jets, including the needle. It is easy, check out this I did for some one that had never jetted his bike before. I used my 150sx so it will be the same as your 200.

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Larry63r/library/Jetting%20150sx?sort=3&page=1&postlogin=true

It shows you everything you need to know and what tools you will need to do it. There is a jetting chart in the back of the owners manual. It will have all the jetting specs for every elevation and temperature that you will need.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Edited by Larry63r

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the info! That's exactly the stuff I'm looking for. I'm stoked to get the bike & learn some proper technique.

Is the jetting for different altitude and air temperature crucial or the life of the engine? Can damage be done if not done properly?

I'm 6-2 235 ride 2013 200XCW. Biggest think I would say is Rekluse clutch and 32:1 mix keeps the crank alive for a long time. Make sure the air filter seals fully when you change it and have fun

Okay thanks, I'm looking at an online service manual for 2014 models now and it says to change the piston & engine bearings, connecting rod & crank pin every 80 hours? Every 40 for motorsports?