Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice from the dads

My son turns 3 in a couple months and the question of is he ready for a dirt bike has arisen. This is a slightly different situations than most 3 yr old birthdays because my son is a bit of a different breed. My son lives and breathes dirt bikes, sleeps and eats motocross, 2 stroke pumping through his veins. He has such an obsession and passion for dirt bikes that my wife and I don't know if we should be worried or if this could be one of those god given gifts that we need to support and just roll with.

So back to the question, is he too young for a 50cc with training wheels? Now this isn't something I'm trying to force on him this is what he wants. I'm a rider myself so he is constantly around bikes and I also own a pit bike that he rides on with me and I've been teaching him throttle control,allowing him to steer and work the throttle. My biggest concerns are him getting spooked, and learning improper technique due to the training wheels.

So if there are any fathers that were in this similar situation I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance

I have a 5 year old and 4 year old. The older of the two is winning in points after 6 races and has won 4 of 6. The younger one can only ride 40 ft on a pw and shys away from it. Point I'm trying to make is don't force anything. You will know when you get him on the bike if he's ready or not. All kids progress differently. He's either gonna be able to do it or not. My guess is your about a year too early. Good luck

If you do start him with training wheels be sure to wire in a tether kill or a remote kill. I started my son at 3 with training wheels and the throttle turned down. He did great riding around the yard until he jerked the handle bars and the throttle cable popped out and hung open. He didnt know what to do and couldnt lay it over because of the training wheels. He went from walking speed to wot and in to the side of a building. I just couldnt catch him on foot. He was done with it for about a year. Now he is 6 and just raced his first motocross. I guess my point is take all necessary precautions. I thought the throttle limiter was good enough, but it wasnt.

• Like 1

Really, you and your son will have to decide when he is ready.  My opinion is a bicycle should come first.

Not a fan of the training wheels, they encourage bad habits.  And I watched my nephew get his foot stuck under the bar, and several tipovers using them on uneven ground.  Set my youngest back six months.

Get a small bicycle and take the pedal crank out to make a "strider bike."  Then he can practice coasting with his feet up.  Then on to pedaling, then on to PW50.  A lot of bicycles are styled after dirt bikes, too.

Also, the cheap MX 350 and MX 500 battery bikes are good trainers.

My opinion is a bicycle should come first.

This is my opinion too.

Bicycle sans pedals = make shift "stryder" bike.

When he's comfortable scooting around on that with his feet, which won't take long, throw the pedals and training wheels on for a short time. When the training wheels come off, he's ready for a motorized bike.

A lot of dads get an electric since you can ride them anywhere. Once he's outgrown that (physically or skill wise), get him a PW50 - no training wheels of course and he'll be in like Flynn.

My son was 3 when we got him a strider bike. He learned to balance within a few weeks...i was skeptical it would work (have you seen the promo?...) but after a year on that he rode a pw for the first time no problem. No training wheels, just the throttle limiter screwed mostly in. Ive let him drive the boat since then; never forcing.

Now this weekend he started jumping tree roots so i made him a makeshift jump (safe-ish) and he went nuts. He asked if it could go faster (previously he would even throttle the turns). Now he wants a bigger bike for his 5th bday. It happened overnight with his confidence. I rode with him at first and now he just asks to go out himself. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401940228.584648.jpg

My daughter has been on and off the riding idea since she was 3. She had a little China quad at 2 n quickly became confident on it but 2 wheels has been a slow process even with some Desire to ride. Due to the lack of passion for it I rebuilt a 49cc pocket bike that was given to me and put less than 15$ into it to get it running and safe. U all may laugh at this but it was cheap so if she doesn't stick with it no harm no foul. And its faster than the 1972 Honda qe50 I learned on (and still have). As others have mentioned training wheels are not the way to go. Regarding the bike and jogging bent over trying to hold the seat occasionally letting go when she doesn't notice is about the best way I have found. My back may disagree but slowly my daughter is learning to ride. Btw she is 5 now and still wants help to start off and me to be close by her.

The strider training is the way to go.  It teaches the fundamentals of balance, steering, etc.  I picked up a $20.00 strider on Craigslist for my youngest (20 months old now).  He is still hesitant when it comes to the "striding", but I am amazed that he already has learned how to steer in the direction he wants to go.  He cruises the garage making "momo" sounds on his "momo bike".

Patience is best when it comes to training the little ones.

++++ on the bicycle skills first. Only posers with monster trucks and pit bulls with spiked collars put training wheels on a dirt bike.

Stryder or pedals to get ready for a dirt bike. No training wheels on the bicycle either.

Ha, I must be a poser then, lol.  I have two boys that started on PW50 with training wheels.  One at 2.5 and the older boy at 4.  They are 9 & 13 now and both rip pretty good.  Kids don't learn any skills at these ages that will carry through when they are older.  They are gonna crash whether they start on training wheels or not and if it scares them away maybe they weren't meant for moto in the first place which is just fine..................There isn't a golden ticket to teaching kids how to ride.  If they want to learn they will..............I've posted pics to prove the "training wheels= bad habits" myth false...............

• Like 2

When we decided to get my son a dirt bike he couldn't ride a pedal bike with out training wheels.  Wife googled how to teach how to ride pedal bike.  Take the pedals off let him balance down hill 15 minutes later he was riding around on a pedal bike.  The dad in my said alright..  Pulled out the ttr50 and had him ride it there on the spot.  We have been riding ever since.  Took thirty minutes to go from training wheels on a bike to riding a dirt bike.   I wouldn't use those stupid training wheels on a dirt bike they are just way to dangerous.

My kid is the same way:  LIVES for motorcycles.  We started him on a Strider on his 2nd birthday.   Within 2 months he was bombing down hills at top speed with his feet up the whole way.  A few months before his 3rd birthday we got him a Kuberg Start due to the lower seat height and weight.  I made the mistake of letting him start out on it with training wheels so he could learn the controls - he got dependent on them and didn't want to ride without.  It took awhile but he's finally off the training wheels and is kicking butt on the 3rd (of 5) speed settings. 

The only argument I'd make is to definitely look at the electrics.  At half the weight and 4" shorter seat height than the PW they're a lot better option especially for the really little guys.  With basically no maintenance they're a lot easier on dad as well.  No need to worry about the batteries running out, at that age they just don't have the stamina/attention span to go non-stop all day so I find that I usually get 3-4 days between charges (and he rides almost everyday).  I was worried he wouldn't like not having the VROOM of the engine, turns out he doesn't even mind and just makes his own noises as he rides.

Edited by wallrat
  • Like 1

I am in a similar position. I can't believe no one has mentioned OSET yet. My son is 33 months and he is doing very well on his OSET 12.5, riding without training wheels, he started on that after he was proficient with his strider. I took the no training wheel route, with the OSET he only needs me when he stops, he is even turning on his own, I took the pegs off so it has a similar feel to his strider.

It is electric, light, small, doesn't get hot, great quality. An amazing product.

• Like 1

I was all ready to get an Oset until I was able to compare it side by side with a Kuberg - the Oset looks like a Yugo parked next to a Honda - the quality just isn't there.  Granted I'd still put my kid on an Oset over a PW any day.  My thinking is that if I can get a cleaner product for $50 more, why not?

Check out the LiPo conversion thread on trialsforum or see my own experience here: http://2wheelsplz.blogspot.com/2014/03/kuberg-lipo-install-easiest-mod-ever.html

Allowed me to decrease the weight of the bike by 18% and extend the range.

• Like 1

I was all ready to get an Oset until I was able to compare it side by side with a Kuberg - the Oset looks like a Yugo parked next to a Honda - the quality just isn't there. Granted I'd still put my kid on an Oset over a PW any day. My thinking is that if I can get a cleaner product for $50 more, why not?

Check out the LiPo conversion thread on trialsforum or see my own experience here: http://2wheelsplz.blogspot.com/2014/03/kuberg-lipo-install-easiest-mod-ever.html

Allowed me to decrease the weight of the bike by 18% and extend the range.

You know i saw your posts and a picture of your little guy on it somewhere on here. It looks like a great little bike and I will be honest when I was in the market I didn't know about kuberg. If I did I may have made a different decision, too late now. I have had any quality issues with the OSET, it has impressed me so far, but I haven't seen a keluberg in person to compare the two..

Either one is superior to a 50.  I only favor the Kuberg because its a higher quality product for roughly the same price.

My whole family rides dirt bikes. Both of my kids started on dirt bikes just before they turned 5. My oldest could ride a pedal bikes no training wheels 3 months after he turned 3, and the youngest was 2 weeks before he turned 3. I don't believe in training wheel on motorcycles. We did however use a pair for each kid for about two hours. I set up cones about 50-60 yds apart. Had him gas to each cone break, and turn for about 2 hrs. After that the training wheels came off. There is a lot of time to get started. I had 1 time about 6 months into dirt biking where there was a bad panic wreck with the oldest. Even with making him finish the ride out to the truck he went about3-4 months before he would get back on the bike. We rode 2-3 days a week before and after the wreck. There is a lot going on, and the little brains struggle to manage it all sometimes. I wouldn't put a kid on a motorcycle if they can't manage a bicycle without training wheels. That should be the first step.

To love it is one thing but to thrown him on a 50cc dirt bike is another. There is no way of telling if he has it or not until he actually gets on a track with other riders. Mine was on one at 3.5 years old but rode a two wheeled bike first and I had him on a gas quad to get used to throttle control then onto an electric razor two wheeler. He quickly graduated through each one but I believe it helped tremendously. All it takes is one whisky throttle where he loses control. Just my 2 cents but I've been riding my whole life and im in my 40's. Start him slow ya got plenty of time.

• Like 1