Sign in to follow this  

Thanks to the people who invented movie cameras.

+1.....I almost died back in 1988 on my 1984 YZ250 even with full riding gear on !   Please take time to gear up no matter how hot it is.  And never out run your sight distance. :eek:

This is one of the reasons I don't like riding in OHV parks.....there is two way traffic. Got run off trail twice by people flying thru the air and decided that a plate and exploring would be my new riding choice.

• Like 3

This is one of the reasons I don't like riding in OHV parks.....there is two way traffic. Got run off trail twice by people flying thru the air and decided that a plate and exploring would be my new riding choice.

Yeah, you really have to watch you'r ass.  I've had a few head-on collisions but luckilly was never seriously injured.  Although the incident I mentined above happened at the Mound ORV Recreation Area near Flint MI.  I was hauling ass on the whoops (5th gear) and my rear brake cable which was mounted under the swing arm broke !   Just ahead was a fork in the trail, at the point of the fork was a berm and in between the fork was a pit. 

You probably guessed what happened.  I jumped the berm & hit a big tree about 20 ft in the air, fell to the ground and laid there motionless.  Cracked my Bell Moto-4 helmet, my 2 buds behind me were horrified, it didn't take long for everyone there  to surround this pit I was laying.  I was trying to swallow my tongue so my buds put a stick in my mouth to keep me from doing so.  A 4x4 ambulance had to come get me and take me to St. Joseph's in flint.  I had a broken arm & Bleeding on the brain, then I went into a coma.  They couldn't stop the bleeding and I was about to die so I was air-lifted to Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital.

Where they were about to drill a hole in my head & do lazer surgery to stop the bleeding.  Amazingly the bleeding stopped just in time but I was still in a coma for 2 weeks.  I woke up with a full arm cast wondering what the hell happened.  I still go to the Mounds ORV Rec Area to this day and people STILL ask me.....arn't you the guy that amost died. 

Anyways, sorry if I'm clogging up the post.  Just wanted to share one of my lifes worst experiences.

• Like 3

Yeah, you really have to watch you'r ass.  I've had a few head-on collisions but luckilly was never seriously injured.  Although the incident I mentined above happened at the Mound ORV Recreation Area near Flint MI.  I was hauling ass on the whoops (5th gear) and my rear brake cable which was mounted under the swing arm broke !   Just ahead was a fork in the trail, at the point of the fork was a berm and in between the fork was a pit. 

You probably guessed what happened.  I jumped the berm & hit a big tree about 20 ft in the air, fell to the ground and laid there motionless.  Cracked my Bell Moto-4 helmet, my 2 buds behind me were horrified, it didn't take long for everyone there  to surround this pit I was laying.  I was trying to swallow my tongue so my buds put a stick in my mouth to keep me from doing so.  A 4x4 ambulance had to come get me and take me to St. Joseph's in flint.  I had a broken arm & Bleeding on the brain, then I went into a coma.  They couldn't stop the bleeding and I was about to die so I was air-lifted to Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital.

Where they were about to drill a hole in my head & do lazer surgery to stop the bleeding.  Amazingly the bleeding stopped just in time but I was still in a coma for 2 weeks.  I woke up with a full arm cast wondering what the hell happened.  I still go to the Mounds ORV Rec Area to this day and people STILL ask me.....arn't you the guy that amost died. 

Anyways, sorry if I'm clogging up the post.  Just wanted to share one of my lifes worst experiences.

That was some serious wreck my friend.....brain bleeds are never a good thing, and you are very lucky! Glad you are ok now and still able to put down a ride or two. Those are the moments that make you reflect though......

Glad you're back in the game Bill..... :applause:

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne, but stupid (young) me never left the game.  I kept on riding in my full arm cast, at the same place.  Got that one off a couple weeks later and now have a shorter fore-arm cast and thought WOW now I can really ride.  So there goes my young dumb-ass in the winter time with no studs at the same place again.  I'm riding down the trail and see a 30' long frozen puddle ahead and I knew it was a deep one.  :shocked:  So I up shifted and tried coasting over it and smashed through it cracking 2 of my cases.  That put a screeching hault to my riding till spring. 

I sold that bike as-is, then bought a 1983 RM250.  By now I'm out of my cast and my arm is tender and it's spring time.  So I go out riding on this RM250, the day seems to be going fine.  Till now..... :facepalm: Throttle stuck wide open 3d gear on the whoops and somehow the front brake cable (drum brakes) got hooked around the fork tube.  When the forks rebounded it locked up the front wheel throwing me to the ground like a sack-o-taters.  Falling on the same side of my recently broken arm, knocking the wind out of me.

Realizing how lucky I was for not breaking my arm again.  I backed off the wing nut to relieve the front break and gingerly rode it back to the truck.  I became alot wiser after that day. :blah::applause:

• Like 2

After riding motorcycles for the best part of 40 years, I have had countless injuries, some minor, some very serious but I have no regrets.

Although hospital stays are an inconvenience and broken body parts are painful, when your riding and your in the zone, it is a small price to pay.

To ride and never have crashed (not including misfortune with another motor vehicle) is not to know the limits of your ability/bike and be able to learn from it and be a faster safer rider.

Now days I'm a thinking rider rather than a balls to the wall go fast at any cost rider. I will still get into it and ride hard when the conditions are right but I have learn't  to bring it home in one piece riding at a slightly reduced speed.

• Like 2

After riding motorcycles for the best part of 40 years, I have had countless injuries, some minor, some very serious but I have no regrets.

Although hospital stays are an inconvenience and broken body parts are painful, when your riding and your in the zone, it is a small price to pay.

To ride and never have crashed (not including misfortune with another motor vehicle) is not to know the limits of your ability/bike and be able to learn from it and be a faster safer rider.

Now days I'm a thinking rider rather than a balls to the wall go fast at any cost rider. I will still get into it and ride hard when the conditions are right but I have learn't  to bring it home in one piece riding at a slightly reduced speed.

Pretty much my philosophy too! :thumbsup:

• Like 1