Had a hit hare scramble last weekend and I was using a camel back from Walmart, and I ran out of water the first lap and left me without anything for the rest of the race, so I've decided to get a good quality one, your opinion on which one?

I used a small camelback(dunno the size) my only issue with it was it liked to leak around the seal where you put the water. Like it was cross treaded but I know it wasn't. Not a whole lot but you'd get wet. Felt good to have the water on your back though so wasn't a huge issue. Other than that I couldn't complain.

What was the capacity of the walmart one? You can buy the best thing made but if is the same capacity you are going to be in the same boat as before.

I like my Kriega Hydro-3, but I just bought a new chest protector/neck brace setup and it doesn't fit well with it :( Back to my old camelbak for now. (both are 3 liter capacity)

• Like 1

I have been impressed with the leatt hydro pack I replaced the camelback I used to use. I would point out you should be hydrating the day before , and sipping little bits , rather than trying to drink lots in the race

• Like 2

I've done some research and the Leatt models seem very good and I may order the H4 or H3.

Although I've been using an Ultimate Stratos for about 15 yrs of MTB and the last year of motorcycle trail riding and it's held up outstanding.

What I like about the Ultimate is the height of the pack is adjustable; you can have it between your shoulder blades or down near your waist.

I've used hydrations packs for years and have found the Camel Back bladder, valves, etc. to be the best.

Edit:

Bummer - looks like they don't make anything even resembling my pack any more.

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/c-hydration-packs.aspx

Now I know for sure I'm going to buy the Leatt and save the Ultimate for MTB

Edited by SpunBearing

What I DO know is the brand to NOT buy is Camelback.  They contribute $$ to the causes trying to eliminate us from riding any public land ( sierra club, Washington trails, etc). PLENTY of other better choices than camelback out there.

Joe

• Like 6

What I DO know is the brand to NOT buy is Camelback.  They contribute $$ to the causes trying to eliminate us from riding any public land ( sierra club, Washington trails, etc). PLENTY of other better choices than camelback out there.

Joe

Truth!

• Like 1

Joe

I hear this all the time. Can you provide proof that they do?

Edited by gots_a_sol

Yeah, I remember hearing that for the first time most of 20 years ago. At that time Camelbak denied it and indicated that they do not provide any funds to any charitable groups.

There's this really cool thing called Google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camelbak.com%2Fen%2FSports-Recreation%2FAbout-Us%2FGiving-Bak.aspx

Heck, even the ceo of Camelback is president of the conservation alliance, and they contribute to Sonoma county trails assn., as well as to outdoor nation...........

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

Yeah, I remember hearing that for the first time most of 20 years ago. At that time Camelbak denied it and indicated that they do not provide any funds to any charitable groups.

Charitable groups ( awesome).....groups that try to rid the earth of the BAAAD offroad " thrill craft riders" ( us) NOT so awesome :jawdrop:

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 2