Sign in to follow this  

2006 Yamaha TTR 125LE suspension mod?

I think what jake is trying to say is, you'll pour a ton of money into your TTR 125, different forks, shock, wheels, exhaust, big bore kit, etc.  When instead you could just ride it as-is, and when good and ready, move up to a better bike vs. pouring a ton of time/money into the TTR 125.

If you did want to mod away, why not put YZ85 forks on?  That is the most common fork swap.

It you are against doing YZ-80/85 suspension, I'd just install heavier springs front and rear (especially replacing the pillow-soft stock fork springs), use 15wt fork oil, and ride the bike.

Highly doubt that WR-250F parts will fit.

In fact, if you are serious with that question, it makes me think you haven't sat down and studied the parts in question.

For one thing, the shock on any WR-250F is a mile long compared to your TTR - probably 50% longer, not to mention larger in diameter, especially the spring.

If you want to get stupid with time and money, read this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/315494-ttr125l-full-yz85-conversion-finishedpics/

At least you know it can be done, and the guy handed to info over to you on a silver platter.

It you are against doing YZ-80/85 suspension, I'd just install heavier springs front and rear (especially replacing the pillow-soft stock fork springs), use 15wt fork oil, and ride the bike.

Highly doubt that WR-250F parts will fit.

In fact, if you are serious with that question, it makes me think you haven't sat down and studied the parts in question.

For one thing, the shock on any WR-250F is a mile long compared to your TTR - probably 50% longer, not to mention larger in diameter, especially the spring.

it was just a thought, the wr250f rear shock is 4 inches longer and the forks are 5 inches longer. Thanks though, looks like I'm left with the yz conversion, what would I need for it? The forks and rear shock and I'm ready to go? Plus, the forks go for like $300!!!

Just for curiosity's sake, I measured (with a steel tape) the rear shock lengths of my 2002 WR-250F and my 2013 TT-R125LE I have here with me.

2002 WR-250F    =   19.5 inches eye-to-eye.

2013 TT-R125LE =   13 inches eye-to-eye 

Also, the two shocks use a different type of mounting at the bottom.

The rear suspension and chassis of the TTR are based on the 1983 YZ-80K and 1984 YZ-80L.

Even the shock linkage pieces of the 2000 model TTR (when they were built in Japan) shared the same part numbers with those YZs.

Edited by YZEtc

Just for curiosity's sake, I measured (with a steel tape) the rear shock lengths of my 2002 WR-250F and my 2013 TT-R125LE I have here with me.

2002 WR-250F    =   19.5 inches eye-to-eye.

2013 TT-R125LE =   13 inches eye-to-eye 

Also, the two shocks use a different type of mounting at the bottom.

The rear suspension and chassis of the TTR are based on the 1983 YZ-80K and 1984 YZ-80L.

Even the shock linkage pieces of the 2000 model TTR (when they were built in Japan) shared the same part numbers with those YZs.

Would you recommend the WR-250F as a good trail and jumping bike?

They are not the same bikes, and I have owned them both.

So, you can't really think of the WR-250R as a version of the WR-250F since no parts are the same - they are both called WR only because some guys that work for the Yamaha factory felt they'd probably sell more bikes that way.

The WR-250F is much better at anything off-road.

It's considerably lighter and has better suspension by far.

The WR-250R (the street-legal bike) is much better for street riding (excellent, really) and can do trail riding just fine, but jumping high and far isn't it's best trait.

It's a good choice if you need one bike to do both, although off-road performance will be compromised.

• Like 1

I've owned two WR-250Fs (a 2009 model and the 2002 model I still ride) that I got street registered.

Both are great off-road and lousy on the street, and the reason they're lousy is mainly due to the 5-speed transmission with short overall gearing that's made for riding off-road.

In other words, the bike doesn't feel good over 45mph and that's too slow for actually going places on the street.

The only reason I have my WR-250F registered is so I can legally ride a legal motorcycle trail loop in my local state forest.

When I'm on the street sections that connect one trail to another, I merely putt along like an old lady.

Depending on your state's laws and regulations for motor vehicles, getting a WR-250F street registered is anywhere from a slight pain to impossible.

None of the Jap dual-purpose bikes (like the Yamaha WR-250R or Suzuki DR-Z400S or Honda XR-650L or any of them from the past sold in the USA) are what an off-road rider would call a really great off-road bike.

They always come with cheaper suspension, EPA regulations for emissions corking-up their engine performance, and extra weight from all of those DOT-mandated parts they must come with.

I've owned a lot of them over 33 years, but it is also how it is when they're 100% stock off the showroom floor.

Some can be good trail bikes with a few common sense mods and some are completely hopeless for dirt riding and are really mostly street bikes.

Bikes like the KTM350EXC and 500EXC are much more like real dirt bikes with the DOT stuff added to make then street legal, but they make less of them each year and they sell for $10,000

Edited by YZEtc

I found a cheap 2004 wr450f for sale. Considering if they will take my bike and cash for it. I obviously want it because it is way faster than a 125 but also because you can make them street legal. Would that be possible or can you not do that anymore? I live in Ohio btw.

It's time for you to contact your state's DMV and ask.

Also, a WR450F is no more easy to make street legal than a TTR125.

Both are sold in the USA as dirt bikes, and if adding lights were the only thing to overcome, you'd see a lot more dirt bikes going through inspection and registration.

Edited by YZEtc