Sign in to follow this  

Unusual front sprocket wear

Just changed the chain and sprockets on my bike which all wore out unusually quickly.  When I had the chain off I noticed that there was significant play in the drive side swing arm bearing.  This is the correct sprocket for the CCM 404 DRZ engined bike and the sprocket was correctly torqued up and the right way round.  There are no issues with spacers missing or spacers too thick.

Here are some diagrams of the set up (courtesy of Haines & Co)

front sprocket.jpg

swing arm.jpg

So, the questions are:-

1. Has anyone seen wear like this on their front sprocket before?  There is at least 1mm of metal missing from the outer face of the teeth:-

2014-05-31 17.20.01.jpg

This is the inner face:-

2014-05-31 17.23.52.jpg

2. Is it likely that the worn swing arm bearing has caused the sprocket wear?  I am fairly certain that the wheel alignment was spot on.

3. If you have had wear like this, what caused it?

Cheers, Moggsy.

Wow that is some unusual wear. I have no answer for this. Just a guess that the angle of the chain caused it.

• Like 1

So either:

-You used the incorrect front sprocket, for your size chain.

-Something is misaligned.

-Or slop in your swing arm bearing was creating the misalignment.

IMO and experience its very hard to beat the stock sprockets, however they will wear and that one is worse than I've seen. Its also not oem. However on the street, the best way to reduce wear is with a very heavy film base lube, of course you cant really do that offroad, cause attracts too much dirt. But on the street its not an issue so you can take advantage of it. Motorex strong street green can(not available in California) is very capable of greatly reducing such normal wear.

A drz sprocket will easily be a ninga star by 10,000 miles. I ran so many type lubes, I didn't think it was possible to cut wear on the drz till this lube, its basically a synthetic type lithium lube. It also doesn't seem to attract as much dirt and more easily cleans off the bike than say a Blue label type lube.

Chain wax , dry lubes, blue label, triflow, none of them hold a handle. available at any cyclegear.

Edited by Spud786

Could it be the slop in the drive side swing arm bearing?  I'm reasonable sure that the rear wheel was aligned correctly.  However, I can't be sure since its all dismantled now.  :thumbsdn:

• Like 1

-Or slop in your swing arm bearing was creating the misalignment.

Could it be the slop in the drive side swing arm bearing?  I'm reasonable sure that the rear wheel was aligned correctly.  However, I can't be sure since its all dismantled now.  :thumbsdn:

Yes, if there is slop the swing arm is going to get pulled everytime you accelerate, brake, etc. Creating the misalignment.

• Like 1

Yes, if there is slop the swing arm is going to get pulled everytime you accelerate, brake, etc. Creating the misalignment.

Yes, I was thinking this but I am not convinced that a 0.5mm movement in the bearing would be sufficient to cause this damage.  However, other than a mis-aligned wheel, I don't know what else could cause it.  So I'll just have to get it all back together, check alignment and see how it goes.  :rolleyes: