Sign in to follow this  

2005 TT-R 250 restore darkened gas tank

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 2005 TT-R 250 that for the most part is in great shape! Really loving the bike so far, but I have a problem that I've never seen before. The previous owner often spilled gas down the sides of the tank while filling it, which ruined the graphics on the tank. That's not really a big deal (I have new graphics on order) but it also seems to have darkened the color of the tank. Instead of being a bright blue like the rest of the bike, it's a dull dark blue. I've never seen this happen to plastic before, so I was wondering if anyone might have any tips for cleaning and restoring it. 

Thanks for any help!

I've attached some pictures so you can see the darkened plastic.

DSCF0841.JPG DSCF0842.JPG DSCF0843.JPG DSCF0844.JPG DSCF0845.JPG

Morning, just saw your post. I had a similar issue with an old IT 175. I bought a product called plastic renew by PC racing. It did bring back the color a bit. I did have to do some sanding with fine sandpaper though as recommended. Let me know how you make out.

Morning, just saw your post. I had a similar issue with an old IT 175. I bought a product called plastic renew by PC racing. It did bring back the color a bit. I did have to do some sanding with fine sandpaper though as recommended. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the tip, I might give that stuff a try. The idea of sanding plastic kinda scares me though. Never got good results from that in the past.