Sign in to follow this  

'02 CR80 bogging randomly

Hi all. So I bought my first 2 stroke a week or so ago and I love it. But, it has a problem. I know the CR80s don't have much bottom end, but sometimes when taking off it bogs so much it stalls, even if I pull the clutch in and pick the revs up it falls on its face. It does this when going up hills too, I rode my friends CR125 and if it started to bog on a hill, one blip of the clutch and it would soldier up to the top, but on mine even if I pull the clutch in and nail the throttle it still bogs once the clutch is released. It doesn't do this all the time, only sometimes, when it's not doing this it's a very quick bike and is more fun that my last bike (CRF250R) but this one issue is ruining the fun as some of my friends on much slower bikes can go up hills that my bike sometimes won't. Now this may be a problem with me not keeping the revs up sometimes, but even firing up a hill at high rpm it will still occasionally bog and completely drop out of the powerband. So is this me or does it sound like an issue with the bike? I haven't had the carb apart to check it, I don't know what jets are in it, I haven't touched the air/fuel screw, and I'm putting 125ml of 2 stroke oil in a 5L jerry can then filling it up with 98 octane and mixing it well. Should I try a leaner/richer mix, get different jets for my carb, play with the air/fuel? It's not a constant issue as I say, the bike can sit and idle all day without cutting out, it's just every now and then it suddenly drops out of the power band and some of the hills I climb are very dangerous with rocks and trees at either side, so stalling half way up is far from fun!

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks, Corey

I'd start by pulling the carb, cleaning it good, jet it if required to factory, set float height and dialling the air screw back to factory. At the same time pull the Petcock and clean the screen and tank. Pull the reed block and inspect the reeds. At the same time look into the cylinder and inspect the piston on bore condition. Good luck

Thanks man. I'll strip the carb tonight/tomorrow, I have an air compressor I use for painting cars which I'll use to clean the carb and jets out. I'm going to rebuild it after 2 hours more use. I don't have the manual for it so I'll try find one online with the factory settings. Thanks for the advice man.

Corey

I weigh about 180lbs haha. I'm 20, 5'11. The bikes really are made for smaller kids, but it came up close by at a good price so I took it. Plus I can throw it around really well because I'm a decent build so I have a lot of fun on it. I want a CR125 but it wouldn't fit in the back of my van and I don't have a trailer to transport it. I'm going to be rebuilding the engine soon so I'll inspect it all at that time. For now I'll just put up with the bogging, then come rebuild time I'll strip the entire engine and rebuild it (except the crank) and rebuild the carb, set it to factory and see how it goes. On the powerband the bike is awesome, it pulls me along no problem, just occasionally bogs. Thanks for the advice again guys. Again, any more suggestions are more than welcome. New to this two stroke stuff!