Sign in to follow this  

2003 yz 125 no start

Embarrassed 2 say I need some help here. I picked up a 03 Yz125. The bike was sitting for 9 years, I was told all was well when parked. So I drained fuelicon1.png, flushed tank, took carb 100% apart & cleaned everything! It idled ok but would die under load as if the fuel was shut off. Now it won't even start. Have 160psi of compression, good fuel, strong spark, float level is good, power valve isn't stuck, no exhaust restrictions, fuel tank vent ok . Plug is wet so I know its getting fuel. Who can be the man & help me out here? 

Note: It will not start off of 2+2 carb cleaner either.  Tested whole electrical system off of service manual specs.  Primary coil is testing bad @ 0.00 ohms spec is 14-.22 ohms.  I know that means there is a short in the primary coil.  But it still has a great spark...  Secondary coil is testing good @ 9 ohms spec is  6.7-10.1

Any one have any input on the coil situation?  Can a bad primary coil affect spark timing?

May be obvious but i didnt see a new.plug on that list...unplug your kill switch..after that, drain your carb, check your ignition connections, pull your flywheel and check your coils, if all of thats good...sounds like your coil...

Didn't mention but yes new plug.  Tested every electrical component to service manuals spec's.  Carb has been apart & cleaned 4x (wasn't really even bad to begin with).  It won't even start off of 2+2 carb cleaner.  It's really weird that it has a strong blue spark.  But per the s/m test the coil is bad...

Didn't mention but yes new plug.  Tested every electrical component to service manuals spec's.  Carb has been apart & cleaned 4x (wasn't really even bad to begin with).  It won't even start off of 2+2 carb cleaner.  It's really weird that it has a strong blue spark.  But per the s/m test the coil is bad...

if you did all that...including unplugging your kill switch..., and pulled your flywheel off  to take a look and make sure your keyway was ok...then I'm gonna say coil. Weird, but it happens I suppose.

Edited by jeffdanger