Sign in to follow this  

Mineral oil (clutch) in crankcase engine oil - will this harm motor?

So my clutch quit working - reservoir empty.  Have a Husky and it uses Magura mineral oil in the hydraulic clutch.  X ring on slave piston failed.  Question is, I just changed the engine oil and filter and had one short ride on the fresh oil.  Do I need to change the engine oil?  I have read some posts that mineral oil is harmful when it contiminates the crankcase oil.  Anyone  know?

Standard lubricants are mineral oil based . It will not hurt anything even your running synthetic. Just change the oil and go ride. Brake fluid used in many clutch applications would be harmful if not completely flushed

Edited by mec500
  • Like 1

Standard lubricants are mineral oil based . It will not hurt anything even your running synthetic. Just change the oil and go ride. Brake fluid used in many clutch applications would be harmful if not completely flushed

Thanks!,  read some reports that stated something to the effect of "I'm running ATF rather than mineral oil for clutch fluid so if it leaks into the crankcase it won't damage the motor"  (on another site).