Sign in to follow this  

1990 CR 250 HPP motor - rebuild yes or no?

My cousin has a complete 1990 CR 250 with a HPP engine in parts. Cylinder is all sorted out, new piston, etc, pp. It had a broken crankshaft and a cracked engine case. We bought a used engine to put everything in.

I would assume he would have to spend another 400-500€ before it´s back up and running. The frame has been welded at the bottom rails because it almost fell apart after sandblasting in 2012.

Looking at the parts availability, engine cases are discontinued and other parts are not sold from the factory anymore.

Would it make sense to rebuild the motor and the bike?

Man what a loaded question that is.  All your going to get is opinions.  If you can find all the parts you need with ease I would say just rebuild it (especially if your going to rebuild yourself.)  If you can't find parts or they are on ebay but not OEM's, I would just sell the bike as a parts bike.  But if you rebuild it, do it right with all new bearings and a brand new crank (using OEM parts.)  That way if you get a long use out of it.   If you end up selling it, buy a 92 and newer bike those parts should be a lot easier to come by.

I would do it, my 91 is great. 23 years old but I have no problem keeping up with the newer bikes and the engine has a good power spread for the woods.

Ok I bought the whole bike. There are some issues with it but screw it, I will just go on and do it.

I have a question though regarding the HPP power valve system.

There´s the housing that goes into the cylinder and the little gate that´s moving inside the housing. Is the housing supposed to sit very tight inside the cylinder? Or does it have to move as well?