Working on a buddys 2000 ktm 200, it seems to be jetted very rich. I've read the pilot jet post above but mine is not acting the same so im a little confused on which direction to go.

The bike pinged real bad under load just off idle, after some research I retarded the timing, making no changes at the carb. The result was fantastic, but the bike would rev sky high with the choke on, and the idle would hang up and take a while to come down. Some say 2 strokes idle gets hung up when its too lean, others say its when its too rich.

I adjusted the air screw out and it dropped the idle, but throttle response wasn't as crisp as it should be, it still bubbles around just off idle. I went all the way in with the screw and there was no change, 1.75 turns out and the idle drops and it wants to stall if I go further out.

I still think the pilot is too rich because of how the bike rides, it starts fine first kick with no choke, and idles high for a few seconds then come down to a nice idle.

Im thinking it needs a smaller pilot, it reacts almost exact opposite of the thread above.

2000 ktm 200

Pwk 38

190mj

52pj

Stock jetting is

180mj

45pj

Bike is stock except an fmf gnarly and turbinecore 2 silencer

Also yes I posted in the ktm 200 jetting thread with no help.

Working on a buddys 2000 ktm 200, it seems to be jetted very rich. I've read the pilot jet post above but mine is not acting the same so im a little confused on which direction to go.

The bike pinged real bad under load just off idle, after some research I retarded the timing, making no changes at the carb. The result was fantastic, but the bike would rev sky high with the choke on, and the idle would hang up and take a while to come down. Some say 2 strokes idle gets hung up when its too lean, others say its when its too rich.

I adjusted the air screw out and it dropped the idle, but throttle response wasn't as crisp as it should be, it still bubbles around just off idle. I went all the way in with the screw and there was no change, 1.75 turns out and the idle drops and it wants to stall if I go further out.

I still think the pilot is too rich because of how the bike rides, it starts fine first kick with no choke, and idles high for a few seconds then come down to a nice idle.

Im thinking it needs a smaller pilot, it reacts almost exact opposite of the thread above.

2000 ktm 200

Pwk 38

190mj

52pj

Stock jetting is

180mj

45pj

Bike is stock except an fmf gnarly and turbinecore 2 silencer

Also yes I posted in the ktm 200 jetting thread with no help.

But did you read the 200 jetting thread?

I'm sure there are other riders in Washington who have the same bike and carb that may have posted.

Perhaps there's a possibility of an air leak, as it is hunting and not idling stably?

Yes, read through every page, no one running the same setup with the same carb or needle.

I have a pretty good idea where to start I just need to confirm the carb I have to go back to stock to start with. The fmf jetting guide for the pipe says stock works fine..

It actually idles really well, it will still hang every once in a while, but will eventually come down to a nice idle. It will idle for days no problems too.

Yes, read through every page, no one running the same setup with the same carb or needle.

I have a pretty good idea where to start I just need to confirm the carb I have to go back to stock to start with. The fmf jetting guide for the pipe says stock works fine..

It actually idles really well, it will still hang every once in a while, but will eventually come down to a nice idle. It will idle for days no problems too.

Perhaps there is an intermittent leak, or the throttle slide/cable is binding up from time to time.

So it bogs when you crack the throttle from idle? sitting still and with load?

well just to clarify, it doesn't bog. It pings. Its right off the bottom in the low rpm, under load. So for instance slow down for a corner in 3rd, when you start to get into the gas it pings, let of a little, little less throttle rpms come up then you can grab all the throttle you want and it just about rips my arms off haha

It seems a little low on power when it pings, and its repeatable. I've been trying to slip the clutch to get passed the ping, but it still does it a lot on climbs.

I also just found when replacing the pipe orings a spot on the frame where it looks like the pipe hits. Im wondering if its the pipe rattling on the frame. Going to wrap the frame with rubber and see if that helps. I don't show signs of pinging on the plug, but again it is jetted really rich and there is a lot of spooge. Also has not fouled a plug, so its not running THAT rich...

Pretty much confirmed through research and testing the pilot jet is too rich. Leaning it out a little at a time I found a happy balance between idle speed and crisp throttle response, but its near 2 turns out, and more would probably be better, but I need to raise the idle.

Still has pinging in low rpm roll on. I noticed one interesting thing though, in 5th I started to roll into the power and it was accelerating cleanly then at about 1/4 throttle it pinged, let off and grabbed about 1/2 throttle and it zipped right along happy

Maybe the needle is to lean?