Sign in to follow this  

Coolant getting into cylinder and wont run? Please help!

Hi so I have a 1995 Honda CR250R and I bought it a few years back and it never really got ridden much and then I started riding it more and more and the bike took about 50 kicks to start and the guys we bought it from had rebuilt the bottom end of the engine. Anyway I went to start it one day and it fired right up but it thought coolant was leaking out of the engine so I shut it off right away and it was running out of the overflow tube. So I pulled the spark plug because it wouldn't start again and there was a good amount of coolant on the plug. so over the next few months I pulled the head off and replaced the head gasket and still had the same problem and once the new head gasket was on there I noticed when i pulled the head off once that there was coolant on both sides of the head gasket and a good amount so is the head gasket i got bad or do I have a warped head or something else? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like youre on the right track. Id check the base gasket as well. Warped stuff happens but gaskets are the first step.

• Like 1

Don't know about your cr, but some bikes have a passage through the case halves (on the front of the engine) through which the coolant flows. There is normally an o-ring at this passage where the cases meet. It is possible(although unlikely), if this o-ring fails that coolant can leak internally into the crankcase. From there the coolant can be pushed up through the transfer ports and into the cylinder with the air/fuel mixture. Also, a failed cylinder base gasket can permit coolant to enter the crankcase internally from the water jackets and again get into the cylinder through the transfer ports....

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2