Bike having a hard time firing up...

I'm having a really hard time getting my bike to start. And it's not just me it's everyone. It's a YZ250f.... I was able to kickstart it pretty good back in the desert but since, it's been a real bitch to start. I was wondering if there is anything I can check or clean that would make the bike start up better. My buddys are a lot heavier than me and even both of them had a hard time getting it started. They got there bikes started before they were able to get mine started and theirs are a bitch too. This bike I bought used from someone who raced it and he had all this added stuff on there... someone said when ya put all that extra stuff on it, it can make the bike harder to start but I dunno. Once it's going, it runs good. But I'm getting frustrated with how difficult it is to kickstart.

I already know the trick about pushing it down halfway till it stops, bring it up, and then slam it down but... that is not working either.

I'm having a really hard time getting my bike to start. And it's not just me it's everyone. It's a YZ250f.... I was able to kickstart it pretty good back in the desert but since, it's been a real bitch to start. I was wondering if there is anything I can check or clean that would make the bike start up better. My buddys are a lot heavier than me and even both of them had a hard time getting it started. They got there bikes started before they were able to get mine started and theirs are a bitch too. This bike I bought used from someone who raced it and he had all this added stuff on there... someone said when ya put all that extra stuff on it, it can make the bike harder to start but I dunno. Once it's going, it runs good. But I'm getting frustrated with how difficult it is to kickstart.

I already know the trick about pushing it down halfway till it stops, bring it up, and then slam it down but... that is not working either.

How long has it been since you started and actually rode the bike?  Ethanol may have gummed up your carb, that happened to my smoker awhile back after not riding for a month.  Had to disassemble the carb and it started easily, albeit with a lot of smoke from kicking it over 30 times before cleaning it!!  

Learning to work on the carb/fuel injectors is very important.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Do you race desert, hence the Aces screen name?

• Like 1

If you bought it from someone who raced it may have a high comp piston and headwork, always making it harder to start. Or as mentioned it may be a carb issue. %80 of the time a clogged pilot jet or circuit. Or it could be jetted wrong for your riding area.

Has it lost any compression? Look into the valves or rings.

Does it have good spark?

• Like 1

If you bought it from someone who raced it may have a high comp piston and headwork, always making it harder to start. Or as mentioned it may be a carb issue. %80 of the time a clogged pilot jet or circuit. Or it could be jetted wrong for your riding area.

Has it lost any compression? Look into the valves or rings.

Does it have good spark?

+1

It's an 06... I rode the bike monday at the tracks... took forever to get it going. The week before that I had it at the desert. Now at the desert, I couldn't get it started at the beginning for the longest time. But the rest of that day and the next, started up no problem. The person who had it before me had it sitting for over 6 months so probably need to clean carb like you guys are saying... I think I'm just gonna go through and clean, change everything while I'm at it... filter, air filter, oil blah blah blah... Got some engine ice, put that in there too I guess...

• 3 weeks later...