Sign in to follow this  

Left my plug in!

Went out for a ride yesterday. I started my bike to warm it up. Kicked over 3rd kick. Sounded sick as?? My mate was beside me revving his a bit,so i thought it was his over shadowing mine. About 20-30 seconds later i spotted the butt plug still in my bike. Rookie alert jpg!!! Pulled it out and sounded normal again. I thought it would build up pressure and it would blow out?

Any one else done this? Any consequences?

Ride it like you stole it!

Went out for a ride yesterday. I started my bike to warm it up. Kicked over 3rd kick. Sounded sick as?? My mate was beside me revving his a bit,so i thought it was his over shadowing mine. About 20-30 seconds later i spotted the butt plug still in my bike. Rookie alert jpg!!! Pulled it out and sounded normal again. I thought it would build up pressure and it would blow out?

I ride a two stroke which has less compression than a four stroke, and I've started my bike more than once with the plug in the silencer.  I realized immediately what happened, so I've never ridden with the plug still in the tailpipe.  You'll be fine though, no worries.

• Like 3

Wow. "Search". Piston and rings have a far better seal than wash plugs. BTW- I have done this about a 137 times.......

• Like 6

No worries, the bike is fine. And fortunately you didn't blast some bystander in the forehead by revving the engine and firing the plug at them.

Yes, I've seen that happen...:lol:

• Like 7

Mine LTR wouldn't crank with one in, haven't done it to the bike yet but it's coming lol

I ride a two stroke which has less compression than a four stroke, and I've started my bike more than once with the plug in the silencer.  I realized immediately what happened, so I've never ridden with the plug still in the tailpipe.  You'll be fine though, no worries.

Mine won't start with the plug in - lord knows I've tried enough.

Last time was at HP Bikes after he did the susp.

I couldn't get it started, heard someone behind me and Derek walked up and pulled the plug out.  :lol:

Congratulations on discovering this starting tip. If you have the plug in there real good the bike probably won't start. After scratching your head for a few minutes, you realize you left the plug in. Pull it = instant start. At least that is what happens to me...once or twice a month! :ride:

• Like 2

The first time I ever started my rm 125I forgot the plug (I was too excited) & once it fired up the plug shot across the garage. . That's not the only time I've started my bike with a plug in, but that was the only time it was ejected

• Like 1

I've done this before to, The second time riding my 13 RMZ 250 It finally fired up after about 15 kicks and sounded horrible. Here I am freaking out that my new bike has something wrong. When my wife walks up and asks why theres a big red thing in the muffler you just put on the bike.  Talk about a facepalm.  :facepalm:

• Like 3

I've started my yz250 with it in an sometimes it will just shoot out lol but I know when I had my yz125 it would idle with it in and I doubt it will hurt the bike

• Like 1

Ask Chokey  :lol:  i wouldn't think it would hurt it if it was running , so it was exhausting some. I guess you could blow a gasket or seal on a 2t if it stayed in there long enough. 

• Like 1

Though my 4T went South while sitting in the shed...... Left the uh in and tried kicking and thought... Hmmm.... That's not normal... Oh........ Exhaust plug der..........

• Like 2

Did it 3 times in one month. the last time was like a champagne cork, all the way across the yard.

Getting older sucks.

• Like 2

It would probably be a good idea to put a string or piece of tape on the cap.  It should catch your eye immediately.  :devil:

• Like 1

same kind of thing on my offshore boat, pooped the hatch checked everything, moved back to helm, primed carbs, crank---------------. SOB. crank------------SOB, crank--------MFR, go back to engine compartment, left all four covers on dominator carbs.

It would probably be a good idea to put a string or piece of tape on the cap. It should catch your eye immediately. :devil:

maybe some pink tassels off it like the ktm riders have on there barkbusters. Lol :)