Cr500AF Build

Because this is my first post i wil introduce myself first. My name is John from The Netherlands. In the daytime I'm working as a Cad/Cam engineer in a big metalfactory. In the evening my time goes too building 3D printers and mx bikes, And for 2 days in the week i'm busy with eveningschool getting my ing. title in mechanical engineering.

My current project is a CR500AF (big Honda fan)! It's a CRF250 (2011) frame with a 1997 engine. I have the big benifit to design and make all the needed parts myself. I use alot of aerospace quality aluminium and my favorite materialTitanium. In the weekends i have the workshop of my daytime job for myself to make all the parts.

Here are some pictures of the proces

etfwu8.jpg

Seat is still loose at the front, thats why it's a bit standing up.

1z2krhh.jpg

2u8ymmx.jpg

vorggy.jpg

148evq9.jpg

ve2gap.jpg

16kwcb7.jpg

2yll10g.jpg

14dpngh.jpg

The next step from now is to anodize all the aluminium parts (triple clamps, cover fueltank, bracket coil e.d.). For now the stock suspension will be used, but i'm also looking for a A-kit or Ohlins suspension. For the wheels i use them from Talon (with the carbon hubs) and A60 rims if i can get them in gold color. 

Two other big steps are the exhaust and radiators. These will be also custom made for this bike.

Hope you guys like my project!

John

• Like 19

Geez! To have access to all that machinery and to produce your own parts!! Wow that's cool!! Takes customisation to another level....

Good luck and keep us posted!!

• Like 1

Man,,,you are on your game,,,this should turn out fantastic.  I'm with stevobiker on the tank,,,where ???

Where did you get the CF tank?

The CF tank and subframe are real factory parts. A buddy of mine has good connections with the Honda World Motocross Team HRC (former Honda Martin), so i can get the special parts from them wich they used in previous years. The CF subframe is all in one piece with the filterbox and mounting holes.

• Like 2

Wow-looking at some details makes you drool all over. CRM tank and subframe/airbox? Cool . Me too i was tempted to get them for my 125 AF as i would have really good connections to those italians. You wouldn't have any weights of those parts? I was not looking for optics but rather to shave weight...

http://www.crmcompositi.com/en/honda.html

Why would you do your own triple clamps when there are so many nice ones available? Was there something missing on those readily available?

I'll definitely follow your build. Starts awesome.....

By the way: has VDS Engineering something to do with the VDS Moto2 road racing team (Marc van der Straten) ? Those guys actually lead the Moto2 worldchampionship standings with both of their riders (Rabat and Kallio). This would explain the manner you approach your project... ;)

Edited by nino

That is very very cool!! I would never get the opportunity to get my hands on such CF parts.... There is no way I'm missing this build!!!!

Wow-looking at some details makes you drool all over. CRM tank and subframe/airbox? Cool . Me too i was tempted to get them for my 125 AF as i would have really good connections to those italians. You wouldn't have any weights of those parts? I was not looking for optics but rather to shave weight...

http://www.crmcompositi.com/en/index.html

Why would you do your own triple clamps when there are so many nice ones available? Was there something missing on those readily available?

I'll definitely follow your build. Starts awesome.....

By the way: has VDS Engineering something to do with the VDS Moto2 road racing team (Marc van der Straten) ? Those guys actually lead the Moto2 worldchampionship standings with both of their riders (Rabat and Kallio). This would explain the manner you approach your project... ;)

Hey Nino,

No I'm not related to the Marc VDS team, but I make also parts for a Moto3 team.

Why I make the parts myself? When you design and make parts, you are never satisfied about parts that makes someone else. You always see things that you would done different, compared too the aftermarket parts.  And it's a lot of fun to make them of course, gives a lot of satisfaction!

It's also my goal to make the bike as light as possible. I don't have the weight of those CF parts, will weigh them for you.

You have some nice bikes too! I really like those Mugen kits, those are rare these days!!

Hey Nino,

No I'm not related to the Marc VDS team, but I make also parts for a Moto3 team.

Why I make the parts myself? When you design and make parts, you are never satisfied about parts that makes someone else. You always see things that you would done different, compared too the aftermarket parts.  And it's a lot of fun to make them of course, gives a lot of satisfaction!

It's also my goal to make the bike as light as possible. I don't have the weight of those CF parts, will weigh them for you.

You have some nice bikes too! I really like those Mugen kits, those are rare these days!!

Sure - i completely understand your approach.

Some real weights would be really cool! Also if you have some detailed pictures of the subframe/airbox combo. I was really tempted to get them as well but seeing the needed modifications to make the stock one fit with the rubber airboot i was hesitant. If i could get some picture where the rubber airboot mounts that would be great. From what they told me the combo of tank and airbox would save about 1,5 kilos over stock. And that's high up on the bike as well. So far i just changed the seatfoam with one of thinktechnology.com which saved almost 600g over the stock seatfoam !

A60's only come in black. Nice work! I'm into building over the top 500AF's as well. A kits can be had on ebay for $5000 or less over here, just avoid the Pro Circuit forks kits IMO.

I prefer the DID LTX or STX rims. If you are dead set on gold just have them stripped and anodized in gold if you want a tough rim.

Are you running a stock motor or something with some love into it?

Sure - i completely understand your approach.

Some real weights would be really cool! Also if you have some detailed pictures of the subframe/airbox combo. I was really tempted to get them as well but seeing the needed modifications to make the stock one fit with the rubber airboot i was hesitant. If i could get some picture where the rubber airboot mounts that would be great. From what they told me the combo of tank and airbox would save about 1,5 kilos over stock. And that's high up on the bike as well. So far i just changed the seatfoam with one of thinktechnology.com which saved almost 600g over the stock seatfoam !

Just weighed the fueltanks. I also got a aluminium tank for the AF. See pictures below!

Results:

CF factory tank 1120 gram

OEM tank 1400 gram

Aluminium tank 1750 gram

dqznl.jpg

24zx98p.jpg

34rwrv4.jpg

The subframe and filter box are all in one piece. I'm not doing anything to the filterbox, that would be a shame! The plan is to cast a new tube to connect the filterbox to the carb. I 3D print the molds, and adjust them till it's perfect. Wich i think is a much better solution than customizing the filterbox.

John

• Like 1

Hello John,

I tried getting into contact with CRM for a price list. Do you happen to have one at hand?

Benjamin

wow-thanks for the weights!

280g is too little savings for the amount of money. I think the rear subframe/airbox combo is where more weight is saved, in addition it should be stronger and offer better airflow as well.

You don't have to mold a new airboot. On my 125 AF you just need a spacer-plate as the airboot would be too short in lenght to reach the airbox. You can see that black spacer in the picture below with other parts needed fot the CRF chassis modifications ( for a 125 AF)

14042244089_d1172d6cb5_c.jpg

Hello John,

I tried getting into contact with CRM for a price list. Do you happen to have one at hand?

Benjamin

No, i don't have a pricelist. The Gariboldi Honda Team and also Suzuki (Desalle etc) are using those parts.

But there is another italian carbon manufacturer and i think Martin Honda has it's tanks from them: CMT

They have a shop and you'll find the prices there. Remind you that if exported outside of the european communitiy they have to deduct the 20% tax that they have already included in their prices!

http://www.cmtcompositi.com/IT/prodotti_marca.php?id_brd=6&id_mod=13&page=1

Edited by nino

wow-thanks for the weights!

280g is too little savings for the amount of money. I think the rear subframe/airbox combo is where more weight is saved, in addition it should be stronger and offer better airflow as well.

You don't have to mold a new airboot. On my 125 AF you just need a spacer-plate as the airboot would be too short in lenght to reach the airbox. You can see that black spacer in the picture below with other parts needed fot the CRF chassis modifications ( for a 125 AF)

14042244089_d1172d6cb5_c.jpg

Hey Nino,

I'm not a fan of adapterplates, i'ts just not the way like i want too build bikes. Don't understand me wrong, for 99,5% of the times this is a good solution. But i want to take it a step futher, designing my own tubes.

John