Sign in to follow this  

Should have never cleaned the Kehin

Ok, I have taken the Carb off the Bike Many, many times now..

The first time all I did was change the spark plug and spray off the opened float and bowl area of the Carb,,,,When I went to start it after re assembly it would not start or Idle without the choke..ok, fine...took it off and really went to cleaning..no avail..

so, here I am...contemplating all things Suzuki and Kehin......

All passages are open, and still the Bike only starts with Choke and will not Idle without the choke...

Observation of Slide, (that I did not Disassemble) it rattles and pops during engine run...

I guess I am in the Market for a Full rebuild kit and MIGHT as well Jet & Needle up, and any fancy Gadgets of the standard Performance it must be modified ilk....me being of that persuasion...

I am thinking the slide rubber may be the culprit..   Any Thought's ???????

AND........I changed the Spark Plug BACK just in case.......

Edited by Aubrey Roche

All passages are open, and still the Bike only starts with Choke and will not Idle without the choke...

Classic sign of a blocked pilot jet.

• Like 2

Yep. all passages clear...blew it out with solvent and compressor......uuugh.

I guess I should not complain seeing as how the Carburetor is twelve years old...

I contacted JD today, hopefully they will have everything I need......kind of bums me out...I wanted new tires...

Edited by Aubrey Roche

Make sure you use carb cleaner when cleaning the carb.when you ask if maybe the slide rubber( diaphram) maybe the culprit are you talking about the kehin carb or mikuni? The kehin carb is the fcr carb for the drz and doesn't have any rubber on the slide, the mikuni carb is a cv carb for the drz and has a rubber diaphram on the top of the slide

Edited by mickeydee

Make you use carb cleaner when cleaning the carb.when ask if maybe the slide rubber( diaphram) maybe the culprit are you talking about the kehin carb or mikuni? The kehin carb is the fcr carb for the drz and doesn't have any rubber on the slide, the mikuni carb is a cv carb for the drz and has a rubber diaphram on the top of the slide

Good point....Does your carb have Mikuni or Keihin stamped on it..???

Yep. all passages clear...blew it out with solvent and compressor......uuugh.

I guess I should not complain seeing as how the Carburetor is twelve years old...

I contacted JD today, hopefully they will have everything I need......kind of bums me out...I wanted new tires...

did jd have a full rebuild kit for it? im considering rebuilding mine and its only a couple years old. but that ethanol gas sucks...

• Like 1

How many turns out is the fuel screw?  Further out is more fuel for the idle circuit.  Never more than 3 turns though or it could fall out.  Are the spring and o-ring present?

You mentioned "jetting up".  If the bike was jetted properly before, then the sizes should not be changed.  Unless you make some change such as 3x3 mod or exhaust system the jetting sizes do not need changing.  You can go through the procedure to confirm what you have is correct but don't simply start changing without reason.

The needle is a different situation because the stock one is not ideal.  Installing a JD needle is a good idea.

If you change to a larger jet for no reason the bike can run rich which will also lessen power.

Edited by slowriding

JD kit worked perfectly for my KLXr.

But, don’t buy their fuel mixture screw with the red knob, (bottom of carb) it won’t clear the starter.

Edited by MR Honda
  • Like 1

pilot is clogged, Use a multi strand electrical wire, peel back the insulation and use a single strand to stick in the pilot hole and clean it out. A rebuild kit wont help. If not the pilot then its back together wrong. The slide plate can be put in wrong and it wont idle as well.

Edited by Mike in Fresno
  • Like 1

I would check the slide to be sure its in properly.   With my rmz it will go in upside down and the exact same thing happens

Edited by 717billh
  • Like 1

pilot is clogged, Use a multi strand electrical wire, peel back the insulation and use a single strand to stick in the pilot hole and clean it out. A rebuild kit wont help. If not the pilot then its back together wrong. The slide plate can be put in wrong and it wont idle as well.

I would check the slide to be sure its in properly.   With my rmz it will go in upside down and the exact same thing happens

Yes, ensure you have square end down....

I Did NOT remove the slide.........Air and solvent went through the Pilot Jet....Puzzling....

I'd still do the wire. It might still be open but just enough to block it. Those holes are super small. Any size variation would affect it...

• Like 2

ok...FIIIIINE.....I pushed a wire through it and sprayed almost an entire can of cleaner through the pilot jet...

It started...without the choke (insert Hysterical giggle here)...

I used one of my smallest Welding tip cleaners...

• Like 2

ok...FIIIIINE.....I pushed a wire through it and sprayed almost an entire can of cleaner through the pilot jet...

It started...without the choke (insert Hysterical giggle here)...

I used one of my smallest Welding tip cleaners...

Live and learn there o'l mate.....I you said when the passageways are all clear , I took a clogged pilot jet away from the equation....

Dam :facepalm: , I seem to recall my first response post #2 saying pilot jet.

Seems that time and time again, posters :smashpc:  claim to have cleaned the carb only to find that a blocked pilot jet is the culprit.

I think the fact of the matter is, the only way to discount the pilot jet, is to replace it with a new one. :prof:

Ethanol is the problem in as much as it might not totally block the jet but enough to affect the correct fuel/air ratio at idle.

• Like 1