Sign in to follow this  

The Project bike surprise! Ouch

Hi, well a few guys know about me here like Zotis777 and Chokey...

Bought a project Honda cr250 99" .. it was a non starter.. main bearing on conrod, well to be frank, something weird happened here.. you will see on the pictures with the crank what stuff(black tin circle stuffies) came out underneath the conrod and axle.

Question: you'll see on the pics, the clutch uhhhh plate holder thing that's a aluminium color has scratched in the centre.. is this going to cause a problem???

But eyy this was least of my worries when i discovered ... you will see... a hole between crank camber and gears casing + cracks at the sides!! See pictures!

Will take it to aluminium welder in the near future..

1401661313724.jpg

1401661344036.jpg

1401661395438.jpg

1401661411002.jpg

1401661433326.jpg

1401661452597.jpg

1401661482272.jpg

1401661505210.jpg

1401661526714.jpg

1401661553952.jpg

1401661571769.jpg

Those scratches in that basket aren't going to hurt anything , i would clean it up with some 400 grit or something but i would replace those cases , cheap on ebay for a set of matched cases . Probably cheaper than trying to fix those and not frankensteined  :ride:

• Like 2

I had the issue of cracked case and what not. I do suggest you take it to an aluminum welder also mx bike mechanic. Because if you want it done right it will have to be level flush grinded to perfection and match the same gradual turns.

Some tight welder won't be able to perfect that.

I had 4 severe cracks.

They are good as new

Looks like someone dropped your engine off a bridge! Haha, my vote is replace anything you see cracked and put all back together with 05+ crank.

This will ensure you have minimal possible sources if error/leak, and you will have a fresh durable engine. At a cost but 100% with it

• Like 3

I'd be interested  know what the piston looks like....?? I ask this because I lost the skirt on my piston and it went into the bottom end and split both cases-similar to what your cases look like.

Did I read your post correctly that something came out of the crank tins and then got between the crank & case and caused that damage? Interesting.

Oky see alot of used cases on ebay. Where can i buy new cases ? (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)

I do not know if new cheap cases exist.

I'd just find a nice used set if you don't wanna blow your brass.

• Like 1

I'd be interested know what the piston looks like....?? I ask this because I lost the skirt on my piston and it went into the bottom end and split both cases-similar to what your cases look like.

Did I read your post correctly that something came out of the crank tins and then got between the crank & case and caused that damage? Interesting.

Ill take pictures of it for you. Here is what i think happened. Piston started to crumble, crumbs hits the top, shock of crumbs chips underside of piston, the chip falls into crank and with motion fracture the case between crank and gears.

Look at the pics again.. see that half circle black tin like stuff.. that's what came out when i took in the crank to be pressed. There was no big end bearing!! Scary....

Ill take pictures of it for you. Here is what i think happened. Piston started to crumble, crumbs hits the top, shock of crumbs chips underside of piston, the chip falls into crank and with motion fracture the case between crank and gears.

Look at the pics again.. see that half circle black tin like stuff.. that's what came out when i took in the crank to be pressed. There was no big end bearing!! Scary....

It looks like your tins failed. There kind of like wraps on the outside of the crank webs is the best way i can describe it. And with these bikes they're prone to coming off the web's and having into the crankcase like your engine has done. That may have caused the cracked piston, or, maybe it was just coincidence

I'd be interested know what the piston looks like....?? I ask this because I lost the skirt on my piston and it went into the bottom end and split both cases-similar to what your cases look like.

See second pic, at bottom of piston, one tail chipped off

1401730318893.jpg

1401730345729.jpg

1401730393440.jpg