Sign in to follow this  

No spark

My 1985 XL80S had been running but shut off. Now it won't start and I don't seem to be getting spark. Any idea ? Ignition coil maybe ?

Give Old school Al a PM.

Was all just covered by others a recent thread .............. even you should have learned something sorcal!  ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I would up grade everything to CDI and a Baja Designs stator.  You would need a new crank though due to the taper.  But they are cheap on Ebay.  A street legal Mini-bike will always fetch a bit of money.

:thinking: sorcal, with the amount of money spent and work required.............why would one not just "up grade" to a newer model motorcycle? :confused:

If the original ignition has functioned for thirty four years and it just "shut off", may be best to just do the basic maintenance normally required of this type ignition system and continue on.  If of course one is willing and competent enough to preform the required maintenance of this type of ignition system correctly. ;)  Failures of this system are usually always maintenance failures...........not component failures.  Actually there are probably more actual component failures with CDI systems............but they have no normal wear items to replace and require no regular skilled maintenance. ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Not to be stupid, but can a bad or mis - adjusted set of points cause me to have no spark ?

I would have never bought this bike if I knew it had points. CDI was the greatest invention in the free world... keeps idiots like me from having to think.

Points wear and become contaminated usually causing loss of spark.  Wear on the rubbing block part of the points also changes timing.  Due to the terrible location of the points on this model, low and right in front of the C/S sprocket, point contamination prevention can be a challenge.  Points require regular skilled service to perform reliably.  Nothing wrong with wanting CDI and not wanting to maintain points.  But............ there is a lot of total BS on the reliability of a "properly maintained" point ignition system. 

Old School Al

I grew up with point ignition systems for cars and IMO one of the greatest advances of the world was the introduction of pointless ignition.

However for a motorcycle just another opportunity to work on the hobby.  

Be glad it is just points. The accelerator pump on my CRF250X quit working on the last ride.  Fix requires a repair kit from Honda, and remove the seat, side panels, remove the tank, lift the subframe, remove the shock, then the two carb cables and hot start cables at the bars, then remove the carb. Make repairs to carb and do the reverse.

Edited by Chuck.

Here's the deal for me about points.  You put new points and it works, but still sputters.  Then you try to lube and get the advancer working freely. It works but craps out after two rides.  A friend lets you borrow a stator.  Works great, but dies before the second moto.  And so it goes.  So for me, why not just put the money into a CDI system.  There are no worries and maintenance free.  Obviously, Honda the XR100/80's ignitions for a reason.  They left the motor basically the same since 1977 but changed the ignition.  I have to many projects and hobbies to worry and fuss with points.  But hey that's just me. 

I just installed a 2003 XR80 CD ignition on my 1977 XR75 engine and it works perfectly. As confirmed on some other posts in this site (although not easy to find) this conversion works with no issues except finding ways to mount the CD box and coil to the old frame.  I was amazed at how well this worked and highly recommend it.  After a lot of research and now trial and error, the new XR/CRF 80 flywheel fits the stock XR crank just fine (I don't know about the 100cc models but I wouldn't bet that they would interchange since the cranks are different).  Honda obviously changed the crank when they went to the longer stroke 80cc engine but evidently the flywheel mounting dimensions stayed the same over the years. One other check was that in PVL's ignition catalog the 1977/78 XR75 ignitions are the same as the XR80 conversions.  The PVL ignition would be an excellent upgrade if you can afford it - buying used OEM parts cost me about $150 to make the conversion.  Many of the Honda point ignitions from the 1970's and 80's didn't last long and the flywheel points "cam" does wear out over time making proper ignition timing impossible.  My XR75 ran terrible no matter how many points I installed or adjusted. Honda even made the condenser hard to replace and they don't even list a replacement for it in the parts guide - evidently you were forced to buy the complete coil assembly.

Edited by IAoffroader

I just installed a 2003 XR80 CD ignition on my 1977 XR75 engine and it works perfectly. As confirmed on some other posts in this site (although not easy to find) this conversion works with no issues except finding ways to mount the CD box and coil to the old frame.  I was amazed at how well this worked and highly recommend it.  After a lot of research and now trial and error, the new XR/CRF 80 flywheel fits the stock XR crank just fine (I don't know about the 100cc models but I wouldn't bet that they would interchange since the cranks are different).  Honda obviously changed the crank when they went to the longer stroke 80cc engine but evidently the flywheel mounting dimensions stayed the same over the years. One other check was that in PVL's ignition catalog the 1977/78 XR75 ignitions are the same as the XR80 conversions.  The PVL ignition would be an excellent upgrade if you can afford it - buying used OEM parts cost me about $150 to make the conversion.  Many of the Honda point ignitions from the 1970's and 80's didn't last long and the flywheel points "cam" does wear out over time making proper ignition timing impossible.  My XR75 ran terrible no matter how many points I installed or adjusted. Honda even made the condenser hard to replace and they don't even list a replacement for it in the parts guide - evidently you were forced to buy the complete coil assembly.

That's why I ran CDI's on all my 75's, 80's and 100's.  I've been trying to tell people to do the swap on here since thumpertalk started, but it seems everyone wants to debate me and find out the hard way.  As far as just maintenance goes is utter BS.  I've had new points not run and swapped out stators and made it run, for a couple weeks, then the same thing happens again, then need to swap out flywheels with better advancers, coils, etc.  We used to ride with various ignition parts in the truck just in case.  All issues had nothing to do with maintenance especially since all the factory mechanics and R&D race people I used to ride with had the same issues.   

Edited by socalxr
  • Like 1

Agree completely socalxr - especially the comment that you don't have time to mess with points - and who really does?  The larger MR175's from the mid-1970's had a terrible, poor quality, points ignition on them that would last maybe 2000 miles before they stopped working.  I believe Honda installed a lot of inexpensive and low quality ignitions in the 1970's and 1980's bikes that they didn't think anyone would want to keep running for more than a couple of years, like the XR75/80's.  I do have old-time mechanics who swear by the old points style ignitions but with the XR style points plate you couldn't really adjust the timing which is the claim to fame for some of the older points ignitions.

I had a tough time getting confirmation about the later CDI's fitting the early bikes.  It sounds like you've been promoting that for a long time but I honestly never saw any postings on this subject (but a lot complaining about and asking for assistance on the stock ignitions) until just recently, after I had already decided to roll the dice on the conversion.  I'm convinced that a lot of carburetor problems were actually ignition related.  I couldn't believe that after a installation it stared on the 2nd kick with the new CD ignition and ran better than it ever had before!  When testing out the new CD it fired a completely fouled spark plug from one of my points ignition, vintage 2T's.

as randomly as it stopped working on June 1st .... it Started working again last night.

Never even installed the new $17 ebay coil I bought for it.

oh well, stranger things have happened.

at least it gave me the reason to take the carb apart while down, it runs better than ever now.

put seafoam in as well.