Sign in to follow this  

Gotta do my first fork rebuild .. Yikes!

Ok... I just got this bike a few months ago and the forks are all the way down.. Like I can lift up on the handlebars and then when I let go there's some spring to it but then they seep all the way back down:( would this mean I need new springs? Or is it the oil that keeps the forks up??

• Like 1

Ok... I just got this bike a few months ago and the forks are all the way down.. Like I can lift up on the handlebars and then when I let go there's some spring to it but then they seep all the way back down:( would this mean I need new springs? Or is it the oil that keeps the forks up??

If it's that bad you will need a total rebuild kit those bushings are shot with no oil. Bike pictured is an 05-07 250 , one you are working on? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CR250R-CR250-CR-250-Pivot-Works-Fork-Seals-Bushings-Rebuild-Kit-05-07-/181425440111?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3dcc856f&vxp=mtr  ,  Best video on youtube IMO : 

Edited by Beau 88
  • Like 3

Ok cool that video is gonna help.. I'm thinking of going with Piviot works rebuild kit.. Do u know if the kits are for one fork leg or both?

• Like 1

You might better think about replacing the inner chamber seals as well. They DO NOT come in any rebuild kit and must be purchased separately. I would hate to see you go through the process of rebuilding the forks only to find they still do not work correctly. There are videos on the internet that will show you how to replace the inner chamber seals.  There is also a video that will show you how to test your inner chambers to see if they are leaking or not. Better just to order the seals and have them on hand in case you test them and they show to be leaking. I mention this because EVERY Showa fork I have ever worked on needed those seals as they were leaking.

I would use this time to put the correct springs in the bike for your weight since you will have them completely torn apart. You will find shortly that the rear shock is easier to rebuild than the forks. You should do the rear shock next because it stands to reason that if the forks need servicing, the shock most likely does as well.

• Like 2

Ok cool that video is gonna help.. I'm thinking of going with Piviot works rebuild kit.. Do u know if the kits are for one fork leg or both?

They are for both and everything you need , i bought the same as the link i posted for my 05' cr250 . Assuming you aren't planning on trying to revalve yourself. 

You might better think about replacing the inner chamber seals as well. They DO NOT come in any rebuild kit and must be purchased separately. I would hate to see you go through the process of rebuilding the forks only to find they still do not work correctly. There are videos on the internet that will show you how to replace the inner chamber seals.  There is also a video that will show you how to test your inner chambers to see if they are leaking or not. Better just to order the seals and have them on hand in case you test them and they show to be leaking. I mention this because EVERY Showa fork I have ever worked on needed those seals as they were leaking.

I would use this time to put the correct springs in the bike for your weight since you will have them completely torn apart. You will find shortly that the rear shock is easier to rebuild than the forks. You should do the rear shock next because it stands to reason that if the forks need servicing, the shock most likely does as well.

This is good advise also and race tech has a good video of rebuilding the inner chambers . 

That's good to know.. Should I order OEM honda inner chamber fork seals? Where can I order those from? I Weigh about 170 lbs. And ride trails and tracks I wanna start jumping bigger stuff now more fmx so what brand springs should I run? race tech?

That's good to know.. Should I order OEM honda inner chamber fork seals? Where can I order those from? I Weigh about 170 lbs. And ride trails and tracks I wanna start jumping bigger stuff now more fmx so what brand springs should I run? race tech?

Race tech has a chart to go by weight / riding style on their website. 

• Like 1

I went with the Pivot rebuild kit myself and it was all good stuff and yeah, like others said it covers both of your forks. I didn't mess with the fork myself like I would most other things, I took this one down to my friends shop and got cheap Chinese food and watched haha.

Set the forks back to factory default from the super harsh settings and enjoying some fresh forks so far!

If you are only 170lbs. you might be okay with the springs that are already in the bike-IF they are factory, and have not been changed out for a previous owner.

• Like 1

I did mine drunk, seriously! On a 2003 crf 450r. Worked out great. Watch a motosport video on youtube. Three parts, idiot proof.

• Like 1

I will most likely be doing mine drunk also.,, lol.. I've checked out a few videos and I know I can do it.. Just needed a little insentive from u guys who have done this job before...does anyone know specs for tightening down the triple clamps? I would hate to crack them by over tightening

Thanks kawabuggy.. How do I know if the springs that are in the fork right now are for a hevyer rider.. Aren't they stamed with a kilogram wieght or somthin?