Sign in to follow this  

New to RMZ 250

Getting ready to pick up a '14 for my son next weekend. It'll be replacing his '11 yz250f he's raced off-road for the last years.

Was going to get a'14 YZ but a mechanic I trust told me he's been seeing the new YZs WAY too soon so that YZ reputation of being bulletproof apparently isn't true anymore. Which brings me here. He said the late models RMZ 250 were amazing. They have a 13 and have 200 hrs on the original valves, adjusted only once 30 hours ago.

I'll be setting the 14 rmz up for off-road. My son loves the rekluse so one of those is going in. I'll add some handguards, rad braces, skid plate.

Questions:

The SFF forks sound exciting. I'm going to try to adjust for reasonable plushness and keep the forks from pogo-ing off roots, etc. suggestions?

Any no-brainer stuff to address with the new bike? Anything problematic with these bikes off the showroom floor?

Thanks ahead of time, look forward to this forum.

So ... Any off-road guys have suggestions on tuning? I saw comments on reducing spring preload

I ride only MX with my 14, the suspension comes with some pretty stiff springs so depending on how much he weighs those will have to be swapped out.  I like the SFF and have noticed that clicker adjustments are quite noticeable. Its a great bike but is lacking some in the motor department compared to the KXF and YZF.

I have a 13 rmz250 (14 is same) and its a great bike for MX. Its pretty stiff in stock form (i weight 160ish) so I put softer springs in. Its still on the stiff side so I think it'll need a revalve for trails/offroad.  

I bought a 14 kx250f and sold it after a month because I didnt like the handling. I've also ridden the 14 YZ and its really good but feels too tall for me. (I'm 5'9")

Cant say enough about the RMZ,  Love it and no problems after 32hrs of MX. 

• Like 1

I have a 13 rmz250 (14 is same) and its a great bike for MX. Its pretty stiff in stock form (i weight 160ish) so I put softer springs in. Its still on the stiff side so I think it'll need a revalve for trails/offroad.

I bought a 14 kx250f and sold it after a month because I didnt like the handling. I've also ridden the 14 YZ and its really good but feels too tall for me. (I'm 5'9")

Cant say enough about the RMZ, Love it and no problems after 32hrs of MX.

All about that Yellow

How much does your son weigh? If he is light/less then 180lbs,definitely need springs. Shock is a pain in the butt to work on. I'd send it out. Threads are very easy to strip on the shaft. The peening is literally called to the shaft. Forks are very simple to setup. Easy to start with the base valve. Good explanation in the rmz450 forum. I posted about a week ago,simple mod to run fuel through the frame. Its awesome. Bike stays thin and I can now do just about 2.5hrs with the frame and auxiliary tank I have behind left number plate. Might have to mess with gearing for offroad. Reliability wise-they seem to hold up really well. I'm going to run mine another season. Only issue was kickback issues wwith a hand full of bikes and suzuki offered a new ECU to correct problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

My son's weight is perfect for the stock fork springs.  I backed out spring preload to 2 clicks from full out (minimum preload) and together with 2 clicks out on both compression and rebound and we want to see how that works this weekend on the trail.  The forks do feel a little more compliant by just pushing them w/ front break held and now both front and back suspensions move more in unison when you push on the peg

I could see removing a few of the 16 big face shims on the base valve.  Additionally, I might try changing out the internal compression spring in the base valve assembly with a "softer" one so that the forks start moving a little sooner (that's what a tuner did on his YZ250f and it worked wonders with smaller trail obstacles). 

He did get to break it in on a small GP-style mx track and the bike handles and runs awesome, I'll get some pictures posted once we get the off road goodies installed.