Sign in to follow this  

Old guys on 125's

How many old guys say 40 plus race or just ride 125's and really happy with them and don't really what or need anything bigger is there really anything wrong with that? i think that's the way I feel I have a new kx 250f and every time I get on it it's like I haven't ridden a bike I years just doesn't feel right

125 2t is harder to ride than a 250 and get anywhere fast , you have to stay on the pipe and a 2t 125 on the pipe screams.  :ride:

• Like 2

Im 6' and like 175-180, still young but on my 125 in the track i can go mid-pack with B class 250fs. But it's a pretty small league and not super competitive

How many old guys say 40 plus race or just ride 125's and really happy with them and don't really what or need anything bigger is there really anything wrong with that? i think that's the way I feel I have a new kx 250f and every time I get on it it's like I haven't ridden a bike I years just doesn't feel right

I saw a masters class racer riding a twin shock RM125 in masters class.

He almost kept up with the modern stuff around a flat track, nothing wrong with 125s, I honestly believe that a 125/144, 250f is the fastest way around a track for most of us.

• Like 1

A 125 is about twice as hard to ride well as a 250F. It's why I consider them a master's bike rather than a beginner's. I'm 43 and my 03 CR125 reminds me to ride properly every time I'm on it.

• Like 2

I'm 43 as well and I have 3x RM 125's. I'm also 6 foot 2".

Not racing ATM but hoping I'll be fit enough to have a crack next year. Vets MX and off road sprints. More so the off road sprints but a bit of MX will Increase my corner speed and fitness   :thumbsup: .

I mainly bought the 125's simply because they are the most fun to ride    :ride: .

I previously raced a 450 before I took a break. Had to borrow a mates KX125 for a club day and had the most fun I'd had all season. BTW. Hole shoted the A/B grade all powers class on it.

I'm not fit enough to race ATM but gave a younger bloke a ride on my 125AF at an open event. He hasn't raced in 2 years and broke his neck in his last race. He's overweight ATM, 10 kilo heavier than I am, the bike only had a 50 tooth rear sprocket on it and needed a 52 not to mention It's a 450 track anyway. He'd never been to the track either and only got one sighting lap before the race.

We weren't going to bother because the bike wasn't ready to race but decided to go after he rode the bike for the first time on the Saturday before the race meet. I'd actually entered but whimped out so changed my entry into his name. And last but not least, He's a 250 2T rider as you'll see by the lines he's taking and the fact he's trying to exit corners in too higher gear. 1st gear starts as well. Got 6th out of the first corner in the 2nd heat. A/B grade All powers. Top 5 riders were Pro's.

Taking all that into account I was stoked with how he went and can see the positives :thumbsup: . Oh. BTW. No tie wire or glue on the grips and they let go. He already had arm pump. I did say the bike wasn't ready to race    :facepalm:  :devil: . 

This is my PR2 race ported 125 engine in my MPS Racing AF roller :thumbsup:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lz53s1-3DA

Edited by AddictedToBling

Im 6' and like 175-180, still young but on my 125 in the track i can go mid-pack with B class 250fs. But it's a pretty small league and not super competitive

Before each race you should wire the throttle wfo and try to hold on the whole time  :lol: Superman all the way around  :lol:

• Like 3

offroad, I like the 125's...they are great fun in the right terrain....but it sucks when the big bores pass ya like you're standing still

A 125 is about twice as hard to ride well as a 250F. It's why I consider them a master's bike rather than a beginner's. I'm 43 and my 03 CR125 reminds me to ride properly every time I'm on it.

Ride well maybe, I never ride well. But I find the 125/144 better, it does take more concentration on what the engine is doing, but I honestly preferred this to the 250fs :excuseme:

I felt like I couldn't do anything right on the 250f.

Although the 144 was setup for my weight, and the 250f was not.

I'm 43 as well and I have 3x RM 125's. I'm also 6 foot 2".

Not racing ATM but hoping I'll be fit enough to have a crack next year. Vets MX and off road sprints. More so the off road sprints but a bit of MX will Increase my corner speed and fitness   :thumbsup: .

I mainly bought the 125's simply because they are the most fun to ride    :ride: .

I previously raced a 450 before I took a break. Had to borrow a mates KX125 for a club day and had the most fun I'd had all season. BTW. Hole shoted the A/B grade all powers class on it.

Shhh, you're making me want another bike.

• Like 2

125's kick ass with the right rider.  Back in the day, my cousin who was just 15 and I were watching these guys on 500's try to climb a big ass hill and kept failing over and over again.  My cousin turned to me and said, "do you think my 125 will make it up that hill"? and they laughed and made him frown.

I got off my YZ490 and grabbed his YZ125, told him to keep my bike warm for me until I got back, and shot up that hill pegged on the throttle with a power band that screamed.  Made it all the way up, came back down, and it was my cousin laughing then.  :thumbsup:

125's rock, of that I don't have any doubt.  It's all about you and "your" machine whether it's a full blown 500, or a 125. Either does the job in the right hands of a rider.

:devil:

• Like 2

125's are great enduros. I have a 250 right now, and there's times I'm seriously wishing I had something on a more compact frame. Steep hills and technical riding get spooky with that much ground clearance.

^^^ its a matter of the right bike, set up for the rider and the confidence it provides. Gelling rider and machine.

Am I wrong to think that old folks have no business on a 2 stroke?  When the powerband hits, I feel like their bones will dislocate due to the sudden jerking force!  Hahahahaha. 

Am I wrong to think that old folks have no business on a 2 stroke?  When the powerband hits, I feel like their bones will dislocate due to the sudden jerking force!  Hahahahaha. 

You're never too old to ride until you die.

url.jpg

:devil:

Well, sounds like you'd be the right person to tell us old blokes all about jerking :p

• Like 2