Sign in to follow this  

2010 kx450f sputtering and stalling

Hey everyone, I was racing a local hare scramble today and my bike started acting very weird. I noticed it kept cutting out when I was on the line warming up the bike, I thought it may have just not been warmed up enough so I decided to start the race anyways and see how things went. Well the bike stalled in the very first turn and took several kicks to start. Throughout the only lap I completed it bogged, sputtered and quit several times. It took 10 or more kicks to get it started which is very unusual for this bike.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have done all the work on all my bikes. However, I'm new to fuel injection and don't have much of an idea of where to start.

I am overdue for a top end rebuild (which I'll be doing this week), but I don't believe that is what is causing the problems. I noticed a leak in my exhaust where the header connects to the silencer but I don't think that would cause this either.

I think my first step will be to clean all of the electrical connections. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to try. Replace the injector? Clean the throttle body? Try the spare fuel pump that I have?

If anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Like you said, cleaning all electrical connections and applying dielectric grease. My 2011 and my buddy's 2012 started easier after cleaning the engine coolant temperature sensor but doing all is a good place to start. Then next with electrical components by measuring the resistance for each one per the service manual. For example, your capacitor could be going bad and not providing enough juice for the coil or even further back the stator could be failing, why, who knows.

If it ends up being a electrical component let me know. I actually have a bunch of parts from an '09 for sale on eBay.

Mine did the same thing when my fuel pump was dirty. Pulled it apart twice (very easy to do), soaked it in gas, put it back in the bike, and everything was good from there.

Well I think I got it fixed, cleaned the coolant temp sensor and the fuel pump, ran a strong mix of seafoam through the bike and the sputter is gone. My buddy found dirt and rust in his gas can after filling it up at the gas station I always use so I'm guessing that could have something to do with it. Won't be getting gas there any more

• Like 1

Congrats! I'm thinking of running a 1/4" fuel line with an in-line fuel filter in place of the stock line in order to keep crude out of throttle body but that won't help from clogging the fuel pump.

Congrats! I'm thinking of running a 1/4" fuel line with an in-line fuel filter in place of the stock line in order to keep crude out of throttle body but that won't help from clogging the fuel pump.

there you go. Fuel filters are mandatory for me

It's stupid that the kawi's have a built in, non replaceable filter in the fuel pump but nothing for a secondary.

Yeah I still don't understand why kawi at least wouldn't make the filter replaceable. I ordered a Mr funnel last night, they are supposed to remove water and debris from gas

• Like 1