Sign in to follow this  

AIS exhaust cap ideas

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401671751.197528.jpg

My GYTR AIS removal kit exhaust cap blew off today. I followed all the instructions for initial installation and retightening, but it never was a really secure fit. Does anyone have a suggestion for another method of capping this port off, or do I need to buy another GYTR kit?

does that get pressurized when its capped or did it just fall off from vibration or w/e??

Mine doesn't feel secure either but has stayed on.

There's a thread somewhere about removing the fitting, tapping the port and inserting a plug. 

I think you can find rubber caps at Pep boys Etc. or epoxy it.

A rubber cap won't work for that fitting as it's straight out of the exhaust port and is too hot.  

"Epoxy it" >> High temp sealer might work. Been tempted to do that myself but GYRT design looks like it's intended for expansion/contraction of that fitting. Not sure if a sealer is right in this application??? Don't know??

The GYTR AIS kit is junk...

Not sure what year your bike is but this could help you:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/996006-economical-2005-6-wr450-ais-removal/

No need to tap anything anything as in thread tapping just remove the fitting on the head and 

tap in the plugs referenced in that posting...

Damn, wish I saw that before GYTR robbed me. VERY NICE sir.

I definitely like the concept of the freeze plugs, but without being certain that a 2012 wr250f could use the same size plug as a 2005 wr450f, I didn't want to remove the existing pipe. I did find another solution though...

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402014002.416600.jpg

It's a stainless steel compression cap. It tightens down very securely, much tighter than the GYTR cap. That being said I haven't ridden it yet, but so far it's looking very promising.

I put a couple sharpie marks on it to recognize any loosening due to vibration, and I'm considering safety wiring it.

I wish I would have seen this before dropping the $60 on the GYTR kit. After rejetting with the JD jet kit, the only remaining GYTR pieces from the AIS removal kit are the two rubber caps. I'm sure I could have found those anywhere for almost free.

I have had a rubber cap and a zip tie on mine for 3 years now and its perfectly fine.

Here in NZ you can buy a kit that does away with the AIS for $1:50. Comes with all the brackets / plugs / carb jets etc

You not get the kit in the US?

I will try to get a picture up of mine, the second one I havd had, both with gtyr kits but a stst bracket that bolts onto the barrel where the earth strap fir the starter motor bolts to and prevents the plug from coming out,

I have had a rubber cap and a zip tie on mine for 3 years now and its perfectly fine.

There are 3 "openings" that need to be covered after removing the AIS. Are you sure you put a rubber cap on the fitting coming out of the exhaust port?

I definitely like the concept of the freeze plugs, but without being certain that a 2012 wr250f could use the same size plug as a 2005 wr450f, I didn't want to remove the existing pipe.

From what I can see in the parts fiche it should be the same size pipe coming out of the head so the plugs should fit...

Use those 12.1mm plugs last night on my 2006, but holy **** that exhaust pipe is **** to remove so this is what i did:

Drill 8.5mm

Tap M10 x 1.5

Connected my work's trusty slide hammer like such

4-5 Tugs with all my strength and alas, it came out.

Caps were a breeze to install by comparison. Also put two in there just in case. Its quite the press fit. i could have never gotten it out with locks or pliers.

Enjoy,

IMG_4838.jpg

There are 3 "openings" that need to be covered after removing the AIS. Are you sure you put a rubber cap on the fitting coming out of the exhaust port?

Yes I am quite sure. You will have to zoom in a bit but its visible in this pic. Like I said, 3 years without a problem, it doesn't even look or feel deteriorated. I was paranoid when I first put it on because I figured it would melt as well, but its just as good as the day I zip tied it on!

IMG_1093.jpg

Haa! go figure.

your bike looks mighty shiny senor. You sure you ride it? ; |

Haa! go figure.

your bike looks mighty shiny senor. You sure you ride it? ; |

The real question Devo83 is what kind of cleaner/degreaser do you use?? That's a clean ride 

Hahaha, I'm smiling like a proud dad!  Yah I ride her all the time! I just happen to have got it off the original owner, who babied it, and I may be slightly OCD when it comes to keeping it clean and maintained. Anyways, hope the rubber cap idea (and proof!) saves a few headaches. PS - Spray 9 for degreaser, and lots of elbow grease!

IMG_1097.jpg