Sign in to follow this  

Not your typical oil question.

I just realized that the ATF that I put in my bike(06 kx250) was the regular type and not the type F stuff. My question is: Is it ok to run the normal stuff? I know that the type F has extra clutch life additives in it but is it really that different? I'm not too worried because I can just drain it but I thought I would rather learn if it was ok or not.

Thanks

Many types of ATF out there, other than dino or synth it's all basically the same stuff but has different friction modifiers to make the clutches hook up harder or softer. Type F being hard clutch hookup. You'll find that Dex 2 through 6 is less grabby than F, the gears could care less.

I like Dex 6, it's of synthetic level quality.

• Like 2

Many types of ATF out there, other than dino or synth it's all basically the same stuff but has different friction modifiers to make the clutches hook up harder or softer. Type F being hard clutch hookup. You'll find that Dex 2 through 6 is less grabby than F, the gears could care less.

cool thank you

• Like 1

Yep. Different types of ATF are speced for different vehicles based on what sort of shift quality the manufacturer wanted for the tranny in that application. Some formulations were designed for firmer shifts, some for softer shifts.

Type F is specifically designed to enhance the grip of wet clutches, which is why it's the go-to for our trannies. But other ATF formulations can be used, they will simply have a different "feel" to the clutch.

sandluvr, I'm surprised you like Dex VI, it is designed for very soft smooth auto shifts, I would think the clutch would feel vague and imprecise with it.

Yep. Different types of ATF are speced for different vehicles based on what sort of shift quality the manufacturer wanted for the tranny in that application. Some formulations were designed for firmer shifts, some for softer shifts.

Type F is specifically designed to enhance the grip of wet clutches, which is why it's the go-to for our trannies. But other ATF formulations can be used, they will simply have a different "feel" to the clutch.

sandluvr, I'm surprised you like Dex VI, it is designed for very soft smooth auto shifts, I would think the clutch would feel vague and imprecise with it.

I like it because I'm a clutch slipper. Pretty constantly because I like steep singletrack. Grabby isn't as good in that, smoooth is the way to go, still hooks up fully. I honestly can't tell a big difference between the other Dexron formulations I have tried. I'm at Dex 6 because of the high quality, I get less basket wear with it.