Sign in to follow this  

KLX 110 or save up for 450?

Pretty much what the title says. I really want to get my first bike, but I can't decide which option to go with. The 110 would just be for messing around on in the desert, local pit bike tracks and cruising the neighborhood and I would do a 143 kit for sure. I want to buy new and 450's have a pretty hefty price tags so, I can either get a 110 now or save for another year and get a 450 before the 2015 riding season. Only downside to the 110 is I wouldn't be able to keep up with friends.

I'm 20 and weigh 160lbs if that matters

Thanks

I wouldn't suggest buying your first bike off of the showroom floor, I'm sure you could find a nice used 250f that would fit I to your budget

• Like 2

Don't think you want  a 110 and for a first bike, I don't think I'd buy new. How about a close to new 250? Are you mechanically inclined? A buddy available to help you check out used bikes? I'm thinking you would be bored quickly with the 110 and take a big hit if bought new, but I wouldn't wait a year to ride!

Mike

• Like 1

Lessee, do I want a toothpick, or a 300 ft. tall spruce tree?

You should try to narrow it down. Beginners get killed on 450s FYI.

• Like 5

I wouldn't suggest buying your first bike off of the showroom floor, I'm sure you could find a nice used 250f that would fit I to your budget

Beat me by 2 minutes. good advice.

Mike

• Like 2

Yes 450 is too much to start with.

Mike

• Like 1

What's your budget anyways?? That's going to be your starting point really and will narrow your options down

• Like 1

My concern with buying used, is I'll get a bike that was maintained by an idiot. I don't want to buy a used 250 for $2k and then have to put another $1k into it to get it running smoothly. That's my only issue with buying used.

Don't think you want  a 110 and for a first bike, I don't think I'd buy new. How about a close to new 250? Are you mechanically inclined? A buddy available to help you check out used bikes? I'm thinking you would be bored quickly with the 110 and take a big hit if bought new, but I wouldn't wait a year to ride!

Mike

250 close to new I can handle, if I have a friend or mechanic check it out. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm surrounded by people who are. I can learn from them. Exactly! I want to ride this coming up season! What I may do is, wait till Sept. and then finance a bike. I have really great credit thanks to my parents. I can pay the loan off within 2 years tops, and only pay $500 in interest.

Well, I have a buddy who just started riding 2 years ago on a 250, and hes already looking into getting a 450. Plus, aren't they more reliable, since I won't be pushing it as hard? 

Yes 450 is too much to start with.

Mike

Any way around this?

What's your budget anyways?? That's going to be your starting point really and will narrow your options down

Well, right now I have $2k to play around with,, if I save til next summer I can have about $9k to spend. But, like I said above I can finance a bike now and have it paid off in 2 years and only pay $400-$500 in interest.

Edited by FlipsideJohn
  • Like 1

Sounds like the 110 is out. I don't borrow money for anything, and have made out much better financially buying used . Even if you borrow, a GOOD 250 used will be a better deal if you decide to upgrade in a year or two. Just my opinion, I know others think differently.

Mike

Sounds like the 110 is out. I don't borrow money for anything, and have made out much better financially buying used . Even if you borrow, a GOOD 250 used will be a better deal if you decide to upgrade in a year or two. Just my opinion, I know others think differently.

Mike

Financing can be risky. But, in my circumstances I don't see it as being a huge issue. 250f I could pay off in a year no problem.

edit: Through chase I think I can get around 3% apr

Edited by FlipsideJohn

Financing can be risky. But, in my circumstances I don't see it as being a huge issue. 250f I could pay off in a year no problem.

edit: Through chase I think I can get around 3% apr

250 new or used? I understand new, just have to ride it for a long time to make sense. And it very well might in your situation. Lot's of experienced riders ride 250's depending on terrain. Kali, I'm thinking pretty wide open, the HP of a 450 shines. Tighter stuff the weight of a 250 is an advantage. You makes your choice and spends your money. You probably can't go too wrong, except with the 110.

Mike

250 new or used? I understand new, just have to ride it for a long time to make sense. And it very well might in your situation. Lot's of experienced riders ride 250's depending on terrain. Kali, I'm thinking pretty wide open, the HP of a 450 shines. Tighter stuff the weight of a 250 is an advantage. You makes your choice and spends your money. You probably can't go too wrong, except with the 110.

Mike

Depends on the price. If I can get a used for around $2500-$3000 I could get one w/ no financing. I would just prefer new. I'm in college,, I don't really have time to work on a bike constantly if it has issues

I'd recommend the KLX250S. Great bike for commuting, $6/wk on gas is a great price. I'm not new to riding, but new to riding offroad, and the 250 has been more than enough for me. I haven't really gotten it WOT, and the saddle height is more than enough for me for now. Cost me $5k off the showroom floor, financed at $100/mo.

Edited by hubbazoot

250f or TTR250. Also consider XR250R, KTM 400EXC or similar.

Any brand 125-200 two stroke could work also.

Considering you say you can't constantly work on the bike I'd lean towards the TTR or XR250's.

They are great rigs.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

Don't be so worried about buying a used bike. There are plenty of threads on here and YouTube vids about buying used bikes and what to look for. Don't go out and just buy the first bike you like that fits your budget. Shop around, ask questions about the bike. 80% of us actually take great care of our bikes, and I myself am always completely honest with a buyer about any little thing that could be or is wrong with something.

You will most likely regret financing you first bike, read some thread and watch some videos about buying used, post up a thread about the bike you like if you find one on CL and we'll help make sure you don't overpay and help with what whatever we can!

• Like 1

Depends on the price. If I can get a used for around $2500-$3000 I could get one w/ no financing. I would just prefer new. I'm in college,, I don't really have time to work on a bike constantly if it has issues

If you are going to ride it, you need to work on it. Dirtbikes aren't like cars or streetbikes, they take a lot of TLC to stay working properly.

I'll give you a for example: Brand new bikes come with very little grease in the chassis bearings. The best thing you can do when you get your new bike home is to take it apart and grease it.

I'm sure you didn't expect to have to spend 5-10 hours working on a brand new bike, but this sport is like that. Guys who don't put in the elbow grease don't get to ride for long.

Of course the smart money is to buy an older, very low hour bike for a few thousand bucks. They are out there, and that's the bike I and my friends buy. We don't do any more work to them than we would a brand new bike off the showroom floor.

• Like 1

Please buy a 450, and please record you riding it for the first year or so. I could use some solid entertainment :smirk:

• Like 2

Well, I have a buddy who just started riding 2 years ago on a 250, and hes already looking into getting a 450. Plus, aren't they more reliable, since I won't be pushing it as hard? 

Your buddy isn't ready for a 450 whether he thinks so or not. Two years from zero isn't $hit for experience. Maybe he won't kill himself at this point, but he WILL be slower and have less control with a 450.

Don't be offended- you are just like 99% of the newbies out there who think they are ready for open-class power as soon as they get their feet on the pegs for 10 feet.

What price should I be looking to pay for a used 250? I see  07's for $2200 and 03's for $3500. 

also,  if someone states their bike start in 3 kicks, does that mean theres an issue? a lot say first kick start

Edited by FlipsideJohn

Your buddy isn't ready for a 450 whether he thinks so or not. Two years from zero isn't $hit for experience. Maybe he won't kill himself at this point, but he WILL be slower and have less control with a 450.

Don't be offended- you are just like 99% of the newbies out there who think they are ready for open-class power as soon as they get their feet on the pegs for 10 feet.

All depends on how much riding they do. Someone who puts 20k miles on a bike in a year is going to be a better rider than the guy who's been 'riding' for 5 years and only rides when it's absolutely perfect conditions.