Sign in to follow this  

Differences between 200exc/250xc

this will be the first ktm I've owned I'm going back and forth between the 200and the 250. I've heard great things about both bikes. I'm 5'9 155lbs have ridden my whole life. I like the idea on the 200 because if I'm not mistaken it's on a 125 frame. since I'm a smaller guy I think I could ride this harder and it would just suite by style better. however I've heard the 250 has a little more low end grunt and can lug a little better. I know I will be happy with either bike. I am mainly looking for a do it all bike but mostly single track hare scramble type ridding with some occasional mx. any thoughts or opinions??

this will be the first ktm I've owned I'm going back and forth between the 200and the 250. I've heard great things about both bikes. I'm 5'9 155lbs have ridden my whole life. I like the idea on the 200 because if I'm not mistaken it's on a 125 frame. since I'm a smaller guy I think I could ride this harder and it would just suite by style better. however I've heard the 250 has a little more low end grunt and can lug a little better. I know I will be happy with either bike. I am mainly looking for a do it all bike but mostly single track hare scramble type ridding with some occasional mx. any thoughts or opinions??

200 is a bored and stroked 125 and acts as such if you ride it hard. 

It is still very smooth though and ridden in the low revs it is seamless (mostly)

The 250 is ballsier in the bottom end I think. You are correct that you'll be fine with either.

I sold my 250XC and bought a new 200XCW. Motor is a big difference between the two. Stuff I could do by just running in third I have to go 2-3-2 a lot more on the 200. That said the light weight and terrific handling of the 200 are a real advantage on the right track. in fact I won my class this past Sunday on my 200 because the course was so rough and so technical the 450's and 250's were just to much to handle in the harsh stuff. My little 200 with help from Rekluse just ate it up and kept moving forward. I do sometimes miss the 250's ability to pull from down low better but all in all I love my 200

Light weight? there is a 5.7lb difference between the two.

I ride a 2008 250 XC. Rode a friends 200 and was not all that impressed.

For the tight super technical single track we ride, too much shifting required on the 200, and the power difference was definitely noticeable.

Other than the small weight difference, and 9mm in wheelbase, they are almost identical in spec.

Light weight? there is a 5.7lb difference between the two.

I ride a 2008 250 XC. Rode a friends 200 and was not all that impressed.

For the tight super technical single track we ride, too much shifting required on the 200, and the power difference was definitely noticeable.

Other than the small weight difference, and 9mm in wheelbase, they are almost identical in spec.

With less rotational force the 200 will feel even lighter than the few lb diffference between them. I find tuned correctly the 200's are very torquey and the 250's feel like they are all mid and up. I'm comparing 01 200 with a little motor work to a stock other than jetting 11 250xc

. I find tuned correctly the 200's are very torquey and the 250's feel like they are all mid and up. I'm comparing 01 200 with a little motor work to a stock other than jetting 11 250xc

i doubt you are correct... 250 is definitely the toquey one on the bottom than 200 as well as 300 is more torquey than 250.... Edited by KTMfinrider

My options are a brand new 2013 250XC great deal on it right now, or on Craigslist there are a couple 2007 200's that look in good shape (pictures obviously) but they are only asking 2700 and 2900 for those.  Kinda just going back and forth. The 250 is at the local shop. The craigslist bikes are about a 5 hour drive. I'm torn I originally have wanted the 200 for the size 125 platform etc.  But the deal on the 250 is a good one.  What to do????

i doubt you are correct... 250 is definitely the toquey one on the bottom than 200 as well as 300 is more torquey than 250....

The 200 can be tuned to be very torquey, but there's no replacement for displacement in low end.

the 200 is not on a 125 platform. They are identical in all respects other than displacement and 5.7 lbs, and a few mm in leangth.

There is no way I would ride a 200, I am sure they are great bikes, just lack that oomph of a 250.

there is no point in the curve of power that a 200 is better than a 250.

I would understand however, if you are a little guy and kind of petite, a 200 is great. Otherwise, get a 250. 

someone my size (6'2" 230lbs), I don't think there is any way you could keep up with me on my 250.

the whole rotational mass thing makes sense, but it can't be that much. 

Like I said, I rode my friends bike for a while. If anything, if it felt lighter, it made it feel way under powered.

In fact, I would put my wife's CRF150R up against it any day.

i doubt you are correct... 250 is definitely the toquey one on the bottom than 200 as well as 300 is more torquey than 250....

Well I've ridden them back to back countless times, the 200 makes more torque down low, that's all I can say about that. And yes a 300 makes way more torque than the 250 and the 200. The 250's I've ridden all ride pretty close to an MX bike which is what kind of power? Mid and up, because that's what you do on an MX track, the XC's and XCW's are the same just a bit more tame.  :excuseme: