Sign in to follow this  

STAGE 1 KIT QUESTIONS, INSTALL

Hey Guys,

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Stage 1 Kit for my CRF250L. (FMF Powercore Exhaust, Megabomb, EJK programmer and 13T Sprocket) 

I would love to hear from people with experience on this topic.

1.) How much more responsive is the bike with all of these upgrades?

2.) is it worth the money?

3.) Do you gain more low end power, high end, or both?

4.) Are their instructional videos or step by step instructions online?

Thank you for all your help!

If you intend to do less than 8000 miles a year I would get the big bore kit straight up and get the exhaust later.

If you intend to do more than 8000 miles a year I would probably stick with the stock motor and do stage 1.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

Since your name implies you are a "tech guy" ..... you should know there is a search button in the upper right hand corner on every page here at thumpertalk ...  :thumbsup:

This is probably one of the most talked about subjects of all time .... you can click here for help  ...  http://bit.ly/1tBbgPg  ....  :p

This bike has been out for a long time and about every mod you can think of has been done and discussed here in detail ... 

I am just jacking around and having a little fun with this post but this little video holds true ...  :prof:

Now onto a more serious note and to answer your questions as best I can ....  :blah:

1.) How much more responsiveicon1.png is the bike with all of these upgrades?

The EJK and opened up airbox  does add a little to the throttle response and I believe the bike feels much better almost like it is not working as hard.

Most of the added power you feel is from the 13 tooth front sprocket and I recommend putting a 42 tooth on the rear as this not only gives you a little more power but, also brings your axle back up where it belongs.

2.) is it worth the moneyicon1.png?

This is a question only you can answer because if it takes "you" a long time to make that money or if "you" make that money in a short time really has an impact on the answer. 

I believe it is worth the money as it also reduces some weight located up high and I just like the sound !!! 

3.) Do you gain more low end power, high end, or both?

Real world numbers on the dyno show you will gain 2 or 3 HP at best. The sprockets are what really adds to the "feel" of the power you get from your butt dyno. 

The 13 tooth will add to your top end and while I think you can still keep that top end with 13/42's you will be running at a higher RPM. 

4.) Are their instructional videos or step by step instructionsicon1.png online?

again .... search youtube 

I personally have about every mod you can think of and based from my experience If I was to do it all over again ..... 

I would put 13/42 sprocket combo with the speedoDRD calibrator and full Race Tech suspension first and maybe Q4 slip on for weight reduction and sound. Then I would swap out my bars and get some bark busters on there. Then I would add a skid plate. After that I would think about exhaust head pipe and 305 engine mods, EJK etc ..... 

just my thoughts man ...  :cheers: 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

I personally have about every mod you can think of and based from my experience If I was to do it all over again ..... 

I would put 13/42 sprocket combo with the speedoDRD calibrator and full Race Tech suspension first and maybe Q4 slip on for weight reduction and sound. Then I would swap out my bars and get some bark busters on there. Then I would add a skid plate. After that I would think about exhaust head pipe and 305 engine mods, EJK etc ..... 

just my thoughts man ...  :cheers: 

One of the best answers I've read anywhere regarding an upgrade path for the CRFL.  I like the idea of improving handling/control before adding more power.

• Like 1

Short answer, yes, get it haha. I was much happier with my bike when I did mine (it was first mod). Best mod for bike? No. But it's a "happy" mod.

And instructional video?!? Pffft, we don't need no stinkin directions!

• Like 2

Short answer, yes, get it haha. I was much happier with my bike when I did mine (it was first mod). Best mod for bike? No. But it's a "happy" mod.

And instructional video?!? Pffft, we don't need no stinkin directions!

Since the price is pretty close between the Stage 1 and the Race Tech suspension ....... witch one do you thing was a better value or money well spent ? 

If you could only keep one of the two .... what one would it be ? ...  :rolleyes:

Since the price is pretty close between the Stage 1 and the Race Tech suspension ....... witch one do you thing was a better value or money well spent ?

If you could only keep one of the two .... what one would it be ? ... :rolleyes:

Race Tech for sure. Exhaust and stage 1 is cool, but if I had to choose I'd pick Race Tech and sneak in a 13t front sprocket haha. The stage one mostly just sounds cool. Bike runs better too, but sprocket change did way more than exhaust did.

• Like 2

Race Tech for sure. Exhaust and stage 1 is cool, but if I had to choose I'd pick Race Tech and sneak in a 13t front sprocket haha. The stage one mostly just sounds cool. Bike runs better too, but sprocket change did way more than exhaust did.

I was just looking for validation ......  :lol:  even though I know I am correct ...  :p

RT_E2Science_Logo.jpg

• Like 2

For performance I went in this order - 13T front, DNA Air filter, FMF PC4, EJK, 42T rear

I was this > < close to selling the CRF to go orange (flame suit on!) which is when I sold the EJK. I obviously can't comment on the entire Stage 1 set up, however I don't think the Megabomb would have made a massive difference in performance. Anyways...I've still got the CRF & I'm loving it and don't feel the need for the Megabomb or EJK. I kept the PC4 for safety reasons + I like the noise :D My personal opinion, adjusting the gearing is perfectly fine unless you want major gains....then the big bore mod sounds sensible. I think the only upgrade I would consider now is front & rear suspension upgrades ;)

If you can find a buddy with a stage 1 installed try that first.

• Like 1

I did big gun exhaust fuel controller and air box mod what a difference it brought this bike alive uses a lot more fuel but powered up fifty percent worth every dollar but alittle loud then I did race tech valve and spring worth everydollar the bike is a different bike on road and off road

• Like 2