Sign in to follow this  

Merge Racing AP spring install! Help!

Hey guys, I got a spring for my '06 450x - I have the carb off the bike, trying to figure out how to get the AP spring assembly apart to install the spring. Is there a writeup/how to on the AP spring upgrade install?

I did my Yz 250f a few weeks ago and used my owners manual to disassemble and assemble, its quite tricky to get the spring in as you have to turn the shaft a quarter turn or so while holding the spring in place

Install the spring per the instructions, and ignore the second 'hook' until you get it all assembled and the circlip re-installed.

Then, using a dental pick, you can reach in and pull the last hook into place very easily

I never got any instructions...that being said, I realized that the black plastic piece 'snaps' off the AP rod thing. It was pretty straightforward after that; just matched the spring to where the stock one was. 

All assembled now, but when the throttle is fully open, there's still a gap between the black piece and the AP spring thing - I thought the point of this was to eliminate the gap like the safety wire method (or am I way off)...or is it to improve the on/off throttle by returning the AP rod back faster and shortening the 'squirt'? 

r1xuZtG.jpg

5JWO6l7.jpg

The gap is because you have the longer rivet on the pump diaphragm you need to file it down or fit the updated parts from Honda. I filed mine and stretched the spring had exactly the same issue, its fine now. 

MM