IT'S NOT TOO LATE! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Help with 2008 XT250. Bike starts and runs but shuts off suddenly when slowing to stop

Purchased a used 2008 XT250 with 3,500 miles with new battery installed.   Can someone help problem solve the issue below:

Bike starts up and runs fine for a while but after some riding time (like 10 or 20 minutes or so), the bike will suddenly shut off when I down shift and slow to a stop.   When I try to start the bike up again it will start up but then quickly die.  The longer I seem to wait to start the bike up again the longer the engine will stay on, but eventually the engine just cuts off at some point.  

I tried researching the threads but each case seems to be a bit different.  Any insight would be much appreciated.  I'm no mechanic or handyman so appreciate any help I can get. 

Thank you in advance everyone!

is the gas turned on?  could be the petcock is plugged with crap and carb is starving for gas.

Thanks Maim. Yes, I made sure the gas was turned to On position.  I also tried Reserve position.  I have not tried checking to see if the petcock is plugged as I'm not sure how to disconnect it from the fuel tank since I have a full tank of gas.   I was thinking about also cleaning the fuel tank but also not sure how to disconnect it from the petcock and other tubes with a full tank.  If you know of any links or resources for how to do these would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks again

usually you would just turn the petcock off,  disconnect the line from the carb,  put it in a drain pan or gas can and turn the tap back on until it drains out.  as it might be plugged,  you need to remove the seat and the gas tank.  once it is off or ready to remove,  take the cap off and dump it into a drain pan or gas can.  the petcock usually is just mounted to the bottom of the tank with 2 screws and a gasket/o-ring for a seal to the tank.

Thanks Maim! I will give it a try this weekend, appreciate the feedback