Sign in to follow this  

XR500RE 1984 Rebuild

Hey Guys,

So I just picked up an ol' 1984 XR500RE the twin carb edition... very nice i think! it was running when i bought it but had a very bad leak on the barrel ( where crank and barrel meets! ).

nether the less i got the ex owner to start it up i rode it up and down the street when i got back i noticed its exhuast had a slightely grey / black smoke which i knew had to be due to rings but i picked the bike up for a steal so i wasnt too phased.

anyways took it back to a friends place as he is a mechanic and aggreed to strip the motor for me which he duly did! 3 hours later and my XR500RE was now motor less :D

anyways we found a few things that had been damaged etc... first was that the conrod had alot of play in the small end... this would just lead to further and further damage so i decided on replacing it as there is possibly damage in the big end too... and we also found the oil leak.... they had reused the head gasket ( where the crank and barrel meet ) so badly that you there was just the metal part left! no cork or gasket stuff anymore! anyways moving on!

the last two problems we found was that the kick start column within the crank case had been damaged it just supports the kickstarter shaft so no biggie but defintely having it welded up and then neatened by a engineer and then last but not least was the oil filter.... it was so full fo gunk you couldnt blow 100bar thru there...... years on years of caked on shit and parts of the conrod im assuming! lots of metal chips built into the thick gunk.... anyways nothing a little cleaning cant fix!.

so yea i attached some pics of what i have done so far .... will defintely post before and after pics once i get a little further!

oh yes ADMINS if this is in the wrong section please move me :)  um anyone got a manual i would love it if you could share that shiz :D

IMG_20140517_121743.jpg

IMG_20140528_192523.jpg

IMG_20140528_195506.jpg

IMG_20140528_195944.jpg

IMG_20140528_195948.jpg

IMG_20140528_205006.jpg

IMG_20140528_205023.jpg

IMG_20140528_205036.jpg

IMG_20140529_181230.jpg

IMG_20140529_182133.jpg

Dig into the suspension ASAP before you get too much invested in the engine. I bet you will find the same lack of maintenance that you did in the motor. Steering head bearings, wheel bearings, swingarm pivot, rear link bushings, fork seals, etc. are all suspect and need attention.

Search this forum for a thread started by silent echo, he did the same rebuild your looking at and was plagued by lack of available parts. Its not impossible to get the 500 back in shape but if the rest of the bike is ok it might be worth finding a newer xr600 motor to swap in.

• Like 2

well thats the odd part... the suspension is frekkin amazing! like no leaks seals all look good! only thing im gonna do is swop out the springs in the front forks for stiffer ones cos i do alot of street riding... anyways was hoping i could  ask a question i found a part inside the magneto cover its a small pin that gets pushed in and out when the clutch arm is released or compressed etc.

here it is 

IMG_20140604_110159.jpg

IMG_20140604_110206.jpg

IMG_20140604_110211.jpg

hoping someone can tell me what it is!! only thing im still missing all other parts are already enroute to me! this has cost me less than 300$ to fix :)

and its my first project bike so yes im gonna screw up and yes its gonna cost me a couple of months of salaries :D but its sure is fun :) cant wait till i get to the part where i start to fabricate small things to make shit fit etc :)

anyways have fun guys! and answer me always answer me :D

That piece goes in the cover. It's the end of the clutch pushrod. Looks worn from the fuzzy pic, better order one of them too.

hey guys,

Sooo question is.... where can i find a part number for this little pin ?   

another bit of epic information thou.... my connecting rod arrived today! just checked and it has 0 play in the small end :D!! soooooooo ampted! just need some advice.

should i get a big bore kit or just rebore with new piston ?

Lemme know :D!

IMG_20140604_185233.jpg

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2504277&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1983&fveh=132053

Part 11 in the fiche..I'd go stock with the piston,,There's only one available from Honda and that's the stock..Better hope

the bores not already over that size or you'll need to find another Piston and ring set from somewhere else. All other pistons

are discontinued from Honda..See the fiche below..

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2504309&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1983&fveh=132053

Parts are a problem for the earlier rfvc Hondas now.

Edited by Horri

hey Horri

so thanks sooo much! called a local honda agent ( im in south africa ) and they had it! luckily that part is very generic and even early 2000 model XR's use it!!! 

so just to give an update valvles, guides and seals were checked last night and they were perfect everything within the engine was fine  and i havee all my parts! :D just waiting on piston kit + gasket kit + carb rebuild kit also bought a couple jets for when i wanna play with those settings!

crank has been sent away to be rebuilt cost me about the equilivent of 40$ to rebuild :) and 15$ for thrust washers / bearings

waiting on a vapour blaster for my casingings to be cleaned anyone got some good ideas on how i should restore them all black  like originally or should i go  black crank and clear coat on the top end ? ( for cooling as paint is an insulator i was told )

peace out :D

Here are options to consider for the engine coatings.  Not sure of availability in SA.  Black will retain the original appearance and make little or no difference in the cooling characteristics.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/blackoxidecasepaint/

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/barrelpaint/

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

The Entire VHT range is available within SA! anyways so i just scored myself a set of excel rims complete with rotors and sproket! for under 900$ :D

so you think i should just go OEM with black everywhere...

Here is one for the XR600R that will help if you can't find one for the 500  http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=969

You may be able to get the 500 manual here http://tiubajaj.blog.com/2013/06/29/download-honda-xlxr-500-600-singles-1979-1987-service-repair-maintenance/

Edited by Flycast47

For a manual, the only thing available is the Clymer, which isn't that great, but definitely better than nothing. I'm surprised you are finding parts as easily as you are! Nice my friens

WOW nice build.  I am doing mine right now too and had the same problem with the con rod but the wrist pin had seized to the rod and i had press it out.  and then after all that it was out of service limits.  Looking at getting a new rod and get it taken care of.  Good luck. 

Let me know how you clean up the engine because i want to paint mine also just worried about clean up and crap getting into the bearings.

Hi There,

So just a bit of an update!

I received my crank I ordered off of ebay as the conrod i was sent was incorrect :*( there was a 6 month wait for my crank as our postal service in south africa went on strike but hey life goes on  :/

I stripped the insides of my casings ( bearings, dowels etc ) and sent them to be sand blasted.

I received them back and cleaned out any remaining sand... it gets everywhere!! and then prepped them for painting and gave them all a base coat remember how long it lasts will all depend on your preparation...

so Now im ready to start with building the engine up finally!

Should have more pictures and progress next week :)

IMG_20150116_131135.jpg

IMG_20150117_162317.jpg

IMG_20150118_081416.jpg

IMG_20150118_081422.jpg

IMG_20150118_081430.jpg

IMG_20150118_090600.jpg

IMG_20150118_090603.jpg

IMG_20150118_090617.jpg

IMG_20150125_202703.jpg

IMG_20150125_202710.jpg

• Like 2