Sign in to follow this  

1995 XR600 - Spark, or lack thereof !

Hiya,

I bought a 1995 XR600 from a mate for a tray of beer a few months ago.

Anyway, when the missus wasn't looking I have been escaping out to my shed to put it together as my mate had it stripped into 6 boxes.

Pretty much back together now, but biggest problem is no spark.....

I know, STATOR.

Well before I rebuilt the engine, I had noted that the stators were problematic, so shelled out for a Racetech Electric High Output stator, and a new coil.

My original stator had 3 wires (Blk/Rd, Pink, Yellow), this new one has 5 wires (Blk/Rd, Green, Yellow, 2 x White).

Blk/Rd wire no worries, but only the 2 white wires have female bullet joiners, the yellow & green have male bullet joiners.

I really don't know whether to cut & re-crimp new joiners onto the yellow & green wires or wtf to do?

Compounding, I can't get a hint of a spark out of it on the kick-start, and I really thought I would be away by now.

I'd really appreciate if someone can give me a pointer or two re the additional wires from the new stator (yes I know they are for a secondary lighting circuit, but which ones do I actually need to get the bike running apart from the Blk/Rd?), and or if anyone has any other suggestions re the no-spark.

Cheers

So, you may have already done this but i just went to the racetech web site and looked up your stator. The stator is listed as not available but if you click on documents, the installation instructions are still there, they even have a diagram.

Hope this helps, i traded beer for my xr600 too and it was also in boxes. Still a great bike but i bet the beer is gone... we win!

Thanks BB,

Yes I did get that diagram, I figured all I should need to get spark is the Black/Red wire, but was hoping someone could set me straight.

I am wondering if the Pulse Generators ever give problems? Also, how reliable are the CDI's ?

I am getting voltage from the Stator wires, but that seems to be the end of it.

Beer for a Bike seemed a good deal to me, it had loads of extra parts and it has kept me 'entertained' out in my shed for many nights piecing it all together.

I look forward to riding it one day.

My last XR was a 350 RE about 20 years ago, that was an awesome bike and so much fun.

Cheers

Pulse gens are more common of an issue on the XR650L.....same with the CDI..but i have repaired CDI`s for the XR600R before,but it`s kinda rare..

B