Sign in to follow this  

KLR 250 No spark

I have recently acquired a KLR 250 as a non-runner project. The main problem I have is I cannot get a spark. The charging side of the wiring loom has been removed completely leaving only the ignition system. i.e. Stator coil, pick-up coil, cdi unit, kill switch, ignition switch, ignition coil, lead and plug. The cdi unit and pick-up coil have been replaced  from another bike. The plug and lead work fine, I have started my quad using them. Could someone give me any advice on where to check next and give me resistance readings needed from all coils if possible. Thanks in advance. 

I don't have any 250 info, so sorry, no solid numbers. you should be able to spot an open or short though. I would start by ohming out the coils. the trigger coils should be a couple hundred ohms or so, and not go to ground. so check continuity and no path to ground.    the charging coils are probably lower ohms and also insulated from the frame/engine ground. the coils make AC volts when the engine turns, the CDI box takes car of rectification inside. btw... if you get a book with ohm numbers for the cdi, they will only match if read with an analog meter.  digital meters use a different voltage, and on solid state devices it give wacko numbers. the older generation klr books were written in the analog days

Thanks Beezerboy. The numbers I am getting for the coils are a bit low I think. Stator coil is 83 ohms, pick-up coil 114 ohms and ignition coil 1.2 ohms. The ignition coil has continuity as well. The main generating coils are not grounding to the frame/engine. I only have a digital meter but I know where I can get one. Have you any more ideas? Thanks