Sign in to follow this  

Billet gas cap help

Hi all I have a 2003 RM 125 which came with a billet gas cap. Unfortunately every time i ride it leaks gas out and when you open it, more comes out. The vent is working and unblocked. Should there be an o-ring inside it?
Thanks

Wouldn't hurt to put an oring on the cap, but If when you open the cap, more gas spews out, then it isn't venting. The tank is building pressure and forcing fuel past the cap threads too, sounds like.

Those billet caps with the stubby vent valves or built in vent valve discs are more trouble than their bling factor is worth. They are notorious for not venting properly. You're better off with a regular cap and a hose that routes from the cap to the center of the steering stem.

• Like 1

It's one of those with the stubby vent.... I think ill just order a stock cap. 

The vent appears to be unblocked as you can blow through it...

I've also had it vibrate lose once or twice. Damn things are trouble!

There should be some sort of gasket between the tank and your cap.  If not get one.  Probably a flat rubber washer-looking gasket.  Second if it has one of these on it..... take it off and huck it as far away as you can from your bike. :)  Just use a hose.

chem.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for the late reply I was waiting on some parts before I could ride. Anyway I swapped out the stubby vent for a hose... and it made no difference at all! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

And the vent through the cap itself is not blocked. Driving me nuts

Edited by owainyz03

Sorry for the late reply I was waiting on some parts before I could ride. Anyway I swapped out the stubby vent for a hose... and it made no difference at all! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

And the vent through the cap itself is not blocked. Driving me nuts

So are you experiencing leaking gas cap?

How is the sealing around the cap/tank junction.  Be it a flat gasket, o-ring, whatever is used... did you inspect it?

How is the tank surface the cap seals against?  Are there any ridges or spots not perfectly smooth to seal against?

Is the cap itself broken where the gas can collect and then bypass the seal?

If the tank isn't damaged, the gasket is in good shape, it is venting OK and can't build up pressure to force gas out....then your cap itself is somehow the culprit.  You have the mystery in front of you.  All we can do is best diagnose the problem.  You have it in your hands.  Inspect and fix or replace.

:)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1009/5316/IMS-Replacement-Vented-Gas-Cap

Edited by RhinofromWA

Thanks for the help! There is no o-ring/gasket inside the cap.... should there be? I THINK the tank is pressuring and forcing gas through the cap. Its a 'Pulse Racing' cap.

Gunna try find an OEM cap around Ireland/UK I reckon.

Thanks for the help! There is no o-ring/gasket inside the cap.... should there be? I THINK the tank is pressuring and forcing gas through the cap. Its a 'Pulse Racing' cap.

Gunna try find an OEM cap around Ireland/UK I reckon.

May first may want to contact them for the seal ring.  :)

http://pulseracingproducts.co.uk/products/honda/personalised-fuel-cap/

http://pulseracingproducts.co.uk/products/honda/pro-lite-billet-fuel-cap/

"The Pulse Pro-lite cap is the latest development in the history of the billet fuel cap and has been redesigned to incorporate lighter weight and improved fitting, yet retains the Pulse legendary fuel cap sealing ring. Unlike other brands all the Pulse caps with the exception of the small cap that fits KTM is supplied with the Pulse fuel seal ring unlike other competitors. This ensures you get a clean seal and no unsightly leaks."

"Key Benefits

* Easy Installation

* exceptionally durable

* Non corrosive anodized finish

* Internal leak proof washer"

Edited by RhinofromWA