Sign in to follow this  

Washington Teanaway Community Forest

There is a nice area called the Teanaway Community Forest that the state has recently acquired and is in the process of figuring out what to do with it. If I understand it correctly it is currently in sort of a gray area in terms of which state department is in charge of managing it. So they have a community panel that is meeting to figure what to do with it. Currently the panel only has one ORV person on it (out of about 20 people). 

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/BusinessPermits/Topics/OtherLandTransactions/Pages/amp_teanaway.aspx

It sounds like this is a good time for the off-road community to get involved, before it is completely closed to us! The next committee meeting is June 12th at the Swauk Teanaway Grange. 

• Like 1

If I understand it correctly it is currently in sort of a gray area in terms of which state department is in charge of managing it.

The DNR will be managing this piece of public land.

It will not be easy to protect ORV access.

The guys involved will need your help.

More details to follow soon.

I think this needs to stay on the minds of all riders who have, or are currently riding the Cle Elum  area.  Huge potential here to keep or form a new riding area.  I know the mountain bikers and greenies are going to be out in full force.

• Like 2

Done!  And I didn't even yell at them like an illiterate jerk.  Key thing to mention...you spend money at their local businesses each and every time you ride.

So far, the DNR has not backed down on a plan to exclude ORV use.

Keep submitting comments.

Soon it will be time to contact your Legislators.

FYI - TT is blocked in mainland China

• Like 1

The DNR is not listening to our concerns so it is time to contact your State Senator and both of your State House of Representatives members.

If you don’t know who they are or how to contact them, go here:

www.leg.wa.gov

Here is an example of some comments:

Pursuant to 2011 HB1421 and 2013 SB5367, the DNR is in the process of creating the Teanaway Community Forest.

The DNR has created an interim recreation plan. Unfortunately and unfairly, this plan does not include provisions to allow offroad vehicle recreation.

This seems contrary to the legislative intent of 2013 SB5367.

ORV recreation is been proven example of a form of recreation compatible with working forests and has been taking place in this area for at least four decades.

RCW79.10 directs the DNR to facilitate multi-use public access whenever it is compatible with their trust obligations. Combine that with the language in 5367 and it seems like the DNR is not doing what they are supposed to do.

Is there anything you can do to encourage the DNR to include offroad vehicle recreation in their planning?

• Like 3

The DNR is not listening to our concerns so it is time to contact your State Senator and both of your State House of Representatives members.

If you don’t know who they are or how to contact them, go here:

www.leg.wa.gov

Here is an example of some comments:

Pursuant to 2011 HB1421 and 2013 SB5367, the DNR is in the process of creating the Teanaway Community Forest.

The DNR has created an interim recreation plan. Unfortunately and unfairly, this plan does not include provisions to allow offroad vehicle recreation.

This seems contrary to the legislative intent of 2013 SB5367.

ORV recreation is been proven example of a form of recreation compatible with working forests and has been taking place in this area for at least four decades.

RCW79.10 directs the DNR to facilitate multi-use public access whenever it is compatible with their trust obligations. Combine that with the language in 5367 and it seems like the DNR is not doing what they are supposed to do.

Is there anything you can do to encourage the DNR to include offroad vehicle recreation in their planning?

Thanks for the heads up. Will get mail to my rep and senator.

The agenda for the June 12th meeting has been posted. It's pretty much an all day event! The public comment portion starts at 6:15, which I know makes it tough, or even impossible for many to attend. But, if you can go I think a real person is worth 20 internet comments......

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/em_teanaway_advisory_agenda_06122014.pdf

How do we know if they are listening?  I can't even find the list of comments submitted? :excuseme:

We can tell that even if they are listening, they do not care based on their actions to date.

Don't let that be OK.