Sign in to follow this  

300 handling issue ?

I usually don't ride my 13 300 xcw at speeds more than 40-45 mph. But the last two weekends I've done a lot of gravel road riding between trail heads. But speeds above 45 I've noticed a lot wobble it almost feels like it bucks back and forth. Any idea what causes this ?

Sounds like you are getting headshake.  I have that exact bike and I have not experienced any headshake during races but I have not ridden many gravel roads.

Do you have the rear sag set properly?  If you have the rear too high it will cause headshake.

have you got the fork tubes run up through the clamps at all ?

if not, dropping them back near level will help.

also, risers seem to make it worse if you have them.

I have a 300 and my mate a 450, both do it at different speeds.

May not be the cause, but even on my trail bikes, I always balance at least the front tire/wheel assembly. Be sure your tire pressures aren't too high also. +1 with everything else mentioned. Separately, they may not make a difference, but get a few of their negative effects working together and you have a recipe for headshake, wobble and overall poor handling.

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone know if the renthal rc hi fatbars will fit this bike? It doesn't have them listed under the possible options on the renthal website...

yes, as long as your bar clamps are 1-1/8 inches. They are if they are stock.

yes, as long as your bar clamps are 1-1/8 inches. They are if they are stock.

I figured they would work, I ran them on my wr. I just don't know why renthal doesn't include them as fitting my bike. (`12 300xc)

I figured they would work, I ran them on my wr. I just don't know why renthal doesn't include them as fitting my bike. (`12 300xc)

It helps to be a little more educated on your own bike and needs and not leave parts fitment up to someone else. As for those bars fitting your bike whether Renthal mentions it or not, find the bars dimensions. Sure, 1 1/8" bars will work if thats what your clamps are, but also be sure the bars center clamp area width is compatible with the width of your bar clamps. That may be one reason why Renthal didn't list them, that or its an oversight on their part, or they didn't make the effort to list every bike they would fit.

• Like 1