Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Exhaust that doesn't need jetting?

I have a 2011 YZ250 and this weekend I had a bad crash and crushed in the exhaust pipe (silencer was fine). Is there an aftermarket exhaust pipe that I can buy that doesn't require rejetting (besides an overpriced stock exhaust from Yamaha)? FMF? Pro Circuit? 

best bet is to buy a good used standard pipe off ebay,craig's etc.

heres a  good example,this one's new though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Yamaha-YZ250-expansion-chamber-exhaust-pipe-/121352787823?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4130976f&vxp=mtr

Edited by smezmx
  • Like 1

You don't HAVE TO rejet, but your bike will run better and save you some hassle.

I'm sure you could go with an FMF or PC pipe and get info from others to get jetting specs so you only go in your carb once to switch a couple $3 pieces of brass. Most aftermarket pipes let you go a step or two leaner on the pilot and main, just to get you more for your money.

Stock jetting is 178 Main, 50 Pilot. I remember going to a 175 Main and 48 pilot with an FMF and it ran great. Plus, that was in Texas in February, so if you're in Michigan, 175/48 during the summer and 178-180/50 during the spring/fall would be pretty close.

If you're shy about jetting your bike, it's really no big deal at all once you know how the bike behaves when it's lean or rich.

• Like 1

Ive got one takin up space in my garage. Prob just as much to ship it to u tho. If anyone wants it tho, lemme know. Barely used off a '13

Jeff,

I checked Yamaha's website and for 2011 and 2013 they show the same part number. Can you see how much it would be to ship to Michigan? Maybe put it on Ebay with a buy it now price, send me the link and I can purchase it? 

Anyone use pipe guards? Was looking at the Moose Pipe Armor to hopefully protect something like this happening again. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4167/i/moose-racing-pipe-armor

I have the aluminum Moose Pipe guard on one bike, and a carbon fiber one on the other.  They both seem to provide great protection, as I regularly smash pipes without guards, but both these pipes are perfect after lots of riding and racing.  The advantages of the aluminum guard is that it is much cheaper and can be bent to fit any pipe (like the one on your next bike!), but the disadvantage is installation.  I happen to have a hydraulic press in my shop which makes bending to to fit a snap, but without the press it would probably be pretty difficult, as the aluminum is thick.  I'm sure someone here can give you some tips on installation if you don't have access to a press.  

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1