Sign in to follow this  

Yosh RS-2 Disassembly

the PO installed a full Yosh RS-2 system on the bike. I was attempting to remove the muffler piece so I could pull the rear shock and I could not get the pipes separated where midway (where the heat shield covers). I even removed the header from the engine so I could work it a little better and it doesn't budge. Is there a gasket here? Any advice for removing this?

I'm growing weary of parts that don't want to come off. 2 of the 6 sprocket bolts will not come loose at all. I spent 2 hours working on it (heat, etc, etc) and no dice. :banghead:

Edited by Joehio

You're probably already something like this, but soaking in acetone / atf solution might help. Try soaking a cotton rag and wrapping it around the affected area.

the PO installed a full Yosh RS-2 system on the bike. I was attempting to remove the muffler piece so I could pull the rear shock and I could not get the pipes separated where midway (where the heat shield covers). I even removed the header from the engine so I could work it a little better and it doesn't budge. Is there a gasket here? Any advice for removing this?

I'm growing weary of parts that don't want to come off. 2 of the 6 sprocket bolts will not come loose at all. I spent 2 hours working on it (heat, etc, etc) and no dice. :banghead:

I'm not sure of the RS-2, but my RS-3 system consists of three pieces (muffler, mid-pipe and header).  The connections between the mid-pipe and header/muffler are slip-joints (w/ springs on the muffler-end)... no gaskets.  Heat, carbon, oxidation and grime accumulate in the slip-joints making it difficult to separate them.  I always use a little anti-seize when I assemble them.  I would give the joints a spray with penetrating oil and twist/tap the pipes apart.

As far as sprocket bolts, you should be loosening the nuts on the backside and not trying to loosen the bolt.

• Like 2

I'm not sure of the RS-2, but my RS-3 system consists of three pieces (muffler, mid-pipe and header).  The connections between the mid-pipe and header/muffler are slip-joints (w/ springs on the muffler-end)... no gaskets.  Heat, carbon, oxidation and grime accumulate in the slip-joints making it difficult to separate them.  I always use a little anti-seize when I assemble them.  I would give the joints a spray with penetrating oil and twist/tap the pipes apart.

As far as sprocket bolts, you should be loosening the nuts on the backside and not trying to loosen the bolt.

Thanks...I'm actually not sure if my system is RS-2 or RS-3...It's not labeled. I tapped, twisted, yanked, pulled, heated, cursed, bled a little bit, and it's holding firm. Maybe the PO put some gasket gunk or something on there. Sigh.

As for the sprocket, I knew the allen head screws would strip out easily and my attempts have been with the nut. I used a breaker bar even and they didn't turn, only stripped. After trying heat and a bunch of other things, I finally resorted to using vice grips on them and that didn't even work. I may just take to to a shop and have them work their magic.

• Like 1

Looking at your garage you have the Stainless RS2. Heat is your best bet, heat the larger pipe up right at the connection, get it really hot, then grab a wet cloth and wrap it around the smaller pipe at the connection without touching the larger pipe to cool it down fast and give it a try. If you don't have a good torch, you can always ride the bike for 30mins and then throw a wet towel around the smaller pipe at the connection as soon as you stop. WD-40 might help as well if there's rust and grime in the joint, just use caution when combining WD-40 and heat.

Edited by plankk
  • Like 1

Sprocket wise loosen up the nuts not the actual bolt and they should come off. Use PB Penetrating oil, stuff works wonders. It can be a pain to get the pipe off, again use PB blast, that's what I did to mine and it came off in a couple minutes

• Like 3

I'll give the suggestions a try...one guy at work suggested a nut breaker for the sprocket. I will be replacing the nuts and bolts anyway.

Thanks...I'm actually not sure if my system is RS-2 or RS-3...It's not labeled. I tapped, twisted, yanked, pulled, heated, cursed, bled a little bit, and it's holding firm. Maybe the PO put some gasket gunk or something on there. Sigh.

As for the sprocket, I knew the allen head screws would strip out easily and my attempts have been with the nut. I used a breaker bar even and they didn't turn, only stripped. After trying heat and a bunch of other things, I finally resorted to using vice grips on them and that didn't even work. I may just take to to a shop and have them work their magic.

Drill them out with a 5/16" drill bit, then use a smaller punch or something to tap them out.  As for the pipe, I've had my wresting matches with them too.  Just keep on using WD40 or whatever and keep on chooglin.  Don't twist, rock it up & down or side to side as you pull.  Upon assembly I use a little Bel-Ray grease where they sleeve together.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

For my Yosh pipe I took a small wood block and hammer and tapped the rear piece away from the header at the slip joint. It eventually worked loose.

Edited by Bluelunatic
  • Like 2

I didn't have much time tonight because I got home late but I did get both bolts off the sprocket. I sprayed them with PB Blaster and let them marinate a bit. One finally gave up but the other still refused to budge. I finally got tired of the dance and took a hacksaw to the sumbeotch and cut it off. It came out then! Haha

I didn't get a chance to address the exhaust today.

• Like 2

I was able to get the exhaust off today with some PB blaster and a wood piece as recommended. Once it started moving it was easy from there. Finally got my shock out and replaced the spring. Done for the night, will put it all back together tomorrow.

Edited by Joehio
  • Like 2

I was able to get the exhaust off today with some PB blaster and a wood piece as recommended. Once it started moving it was easy from there. Finally got my shock out and replaced the spring. Done for the night, will put it all back together tomorrow.

awesome, I always thought all penetrating oil was the same but PB Blast is the shit
  • Like 2

You need an impact gun (air or electric) and a can of; PB Blaster or FREE, or FREE ALL, or Aero Kroil.  Good penetrants are like magic. Until you've used a good one, you have no idea. Liquid Wrench flat doesn't work, and WD 40 is a Water Displacer, not a penetrant.