Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 13 with spring fork, settings

HI

I changed my air fork on my 13 CRF450 for a spring fork crf450 12, I have issues to find the right balance.

The fork is in the lower position in the triple clamps with 4.4 springs and 330 oil height, shock sag is 105mm/35mm with 5.0 springs, and the rear kick me to the front in downhills, big bumps and turn exit. I've changed the rebound clicker to a harder setting, it's a bit better but not enough. I also tried a PC linkage, not really efficient, it keeps the rear too high in braking bumps.

What can I do to get the bike a little more "chopper"? Is the spring fork shorter than the air fork?

Thanks,

Max

10272585_306102772879812_2706933839664706462_o.jpg

Edited by Makime

Unless your 99lbs .44 is way to soft.

most in the 160-170lb range find the .48 + springs to be ok

IDK why the &%$#@! anyone would swap to those old spring forks from air forks.

Edited by nesc103y

thanks, I know it is soft, but I ride most of the time on hard packed this why I prefer soft.

I'm 170lb. What oil height do you recommend with the .48?

Unless your 99lbs .44 is way to soft.

most in the 160-170lb range find the .48 + springs to be ok

IDK why the &%$#@! anyone would swap to those old spring forks from air forks.

thanks, I know it is soft, but I ride most of the time on hard packed this why I prefer soft.

I'm 170lb. What oil height do you recommend with the .48?

380cc used to work for us but most of our tracks are intermediate to soft. And that was on the bikes the fork came with. 

I have no clue how this setup would transfer with an old fork to the new frames.

I used to ride the '10 and I ran .46 on hard packed and .48 on sand conditions.The frame was really different, and there was lot of weight on the front.

On the '13, I feel the weight more centralized. The front end is more precise on entry turns but the rear doesn't drop enough on traction. I will try the .46 to start next week-end and let you know! 

380cc used to work for us but most of our tracks are intermediate to soft. And that was on the bikes the fork came with. 

I have no clue how this setup would transfer with an old fork to the new frames.

Tried the .46 springs last week end, a lot better, the bike is stable and feels more balanced.a bit too soft in muddy conditions / sand. I tried 330cc but it was too soft on big downhills and big jumps.

This week-end I'll try 360cc and maybe 0.48 forks spring if needed.

IMG_2933.JPG