Sign in to follow this  

Should I be worried about these cracks?

After a ride today I noticed some cracks on the bolts under the seat... On both sides. Should I be worried about this? What caused it? Is it common?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's very common in ktms of That era (not sure about newer models) .

My 85 had exactly the same cracks.

Still ok but when you can weld them up and get the grounded back flush with the rest of the subframe.

it is somewhat common, Ive seen it personally before. Not sure what causes it, but would guess over tightening. I dont like my sstuff like that, but I think its OK to leave it alone, but I would monitor it.

i had those on my 2007 250 xc, just keep an eye on them, make sure they don't get worse.

Edited by DRS

Yikes!  I don't like that at all.  You can have a catastrophic failure if you crash.

My '05 525 EXC has the same issue.  I've just been monitoring it with absolutely no change.

I have 2ea 04 EXCs and they all have the same cracks, and I seem to remember some may have been there at delivery.

Nothing to worry about.

Bruce

I have scored a couple of sweet deals on subframes like this before. Owners didn't know that they are all that way.

I am not sure I would be satisfied if I just bought a bike and the Dealer/Factory said, "They come like that." Cracks means stress. Stress means something bad could happen. I am not sure the astronauts on the Challenger and Columbia would agree that a little crack means nothing.

I am not sure I would be satisfied if I just bought a bike and the Dealer/Factory said, "They come like that." Cracks means stress. Stress means something bad could happen. I am not sure the astronauts on the Challenger and Columbia would agree that a little crack means nothing.

You might be right but it's not a perfect world and while it is unfortunate that they cracked, a decade of service has proved them totally reliable.

There were a few who were bugged enough to have them welded, but I don't remember anyone posting that theirs failed outright. My bikes have a combined 12k miles and I weigh 275 lbs (+gear, + substantial backpack) and have had no issues. There is a solid block of aluminum inside the square tube at the attachment points.

Let's review, thousands of EXC with these cracks in service for over a decade and no history of failures.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

You might be right..........

I like that part......

My 05 has the identical cracks have watched them for several years and they haven't moved. More of a cosmetic issue then structural IMO. Once a stress crack relieves its self it's done cracking.