Sign in to follow this  

Short guy needing suggestions....

So I've been riding a 1986 Honda Fat Cat since I was a wee-lass. I am 28 now, but peaked at 5'7" and 180lbs. 

I thought I wanted a DRZ400E...it seemed like everything I wanted out of a bike. But then I went and tried to sit on my friends, and it's just too terribly tall for me. In fact, I ripped my pants trying to throw a leg over. It was a sad, yet funny moment. 

So...I think I am looking for a 250+ cc 4 stroke (but maybe I should go 2T?). I want something that isn't a burden to maintain. I have street bikes that require constant maintenance already, so keeping the maintenance low (or something that is extremely maintenance friendly) is something I would desire. Another thing, is I am short....I don't like these "tall" bikes with 36" seat heights. I don't know how you guys ride dirt like this...everything seems so top heavy and skiddish. I like the lower center of gravity of the Fat Cat, and the ability to put my feet down if I need to. Another factor is price...I don't want to spend thousands on a KTM. I want to find the budget bike that I can nab off craigslist when it pops up for a decent price. Something nice would be the ability to have it street legal, but isn't a deal breaker. I would also like something with good aftermarket support and readily available parts. 

This bike will be mainly for trail riding.

So what bike am I looking for? Someone told me a ttr230 might be good, but I am not sold on it due to the lack of aftermarket parts. 

Edited by shockz

If the bike sits too high for you, you could always buy a lowering link and lower the front suspension a bit, too.

If you're still set on something with a lower saddle, the TW200 sits nice and low, but tops out at about 50mph. I can get my foot pretty much flat on the ground on my KLX250S, and I'm 5'9"

My friend who's a hair taller than me has a 1" lowering link on his, and can get both feet flat on the ground.

If the bike sits too high for you, you could always buy a lowering link and lower the front suspension a bit, too.

If you're still set on something with a lower saddle, the TW200 sits nice and low, but tops out at about 50mph. I can get my foot pretty much flat on the ground on my KLX250S, and I'm 5'9"

My friend who's a hair taller than me has a 1" lowering link on his, and can get both feet flat on the ground.

ok, so let's say lowering links can be added to any bike, what bike would i be looking for?

ok, so let's say lowering links can be added to any bike, what bike would i be looking for?

Whatever bike you fit well on (while moving) that you also like. :thumbsup:

If ride height is the only thing that's scaring you away, that's a pretty easy fix. Just remember, you're changing the suspension, so you're going to change the dynamics of the bike's performance.

Edited by hubbazoot

check out a yz 250. light and very easy to maintain. neighbor put a 1" lowing link on it and he is like 5'7 and rides that bike like a champ.

I'm 5'8 and I have a drz400. It was my first bike though so I wasn't sure what a bike that fits your size is supposed to feel like... I just stuck with it though and I'm good on it now. I'm only 120 lbs and it is a heavy bike but I can still ride it in the street well and was using it to learn driving in dirt and up canal walls. Even took it to the desert after barely learning to ride it and did all right. It was a workout but I wasn't gonna let it beat me. For your weight I think drz would be good. My buddy is 5'8 too but 175lbs and he loves it. Sure we both touch the ground on our tippy toes but ya get used to it and I drive it on the street around town now with no problem putting foot down at lights or stop signs.

I would stick with it and ride it in the dirt some where for a few hours. I think you'll like it... I beat this one to crap laying it over tryin to climb out canals and stuff but I wanna buy another one enduro and just use it for trails and general on road off road stuff... Don't wanna beat up bike that gonna be driving everywhere.

I also just got a yz250f. It's about 100 lbs lighter than my drz and is slightly lower too. That bike is awesome too. Prefer that one to drz because it's so light I can be a little more crazy with it and control it better. Still on toes with both feet down but it's good. With both bikes I've just learned to plant to lean a bit and set one foot on ground and just leave other on foot peg. Never lowered nothin and not gonna bother with it either. Lots of people can't get both feet planted on ground. Took me a bit to get used bringing leg up that high to get on but now it's no problem... Just gotta learn the trick... Lean forward on handle bars and swing leg back and out over tail of bike. I felt like I'd rip my pants too first time tried getting on but now it's no issue. Only an inch taller, don't think there's that much of a difference. I'd stick with it and try to ride what ya want. You'll figure out how to work it.