Keep getting front flat... HELP PLEASE...

Hey so i keep getting a front flat on my drz.. Seems to happen when wheeling or jumping::::: let me explain.. Tube seems to tear/rip around valve stem area... What i want to know is..... Tighten stem nut or leave loose???... Idk this is 3rd flat.. New tire.. Its not spokes or anything.. Its always the valve stem area where the leak is...

do NOT tighten valve stem...when tire slips due to braking or other reason it will rip the stem out of tube. With it loose you get some slip and can correct it before it tears loose. Let all the air out, break the bead and twist it back to where it should be.

your tire shouldn't "slip" if so get a rim lock or run higher pressure. Dirt tires I run 20-25 and haven't had a problem and street tires 25-30.. With the valve stem tight. They don't put a nut on it for no reason

planetwister raises another question ,

are you running 17 or 21 inch rim? of course on dirt you will want to run a lower psi, im making the assumption your running a 17 rim on street tyres. 

A rim lock isn't particularly  useful on the front.. if your tube is slipping that badly in the tyre then something is amiss. 

• Like 1

A rim lock isn't particularly  useful on the front.. if your tube is slipping that badly in the tyre then something is amiss. 

I'll have to disagree here.  When running lower pressures on any tire it will slip if it meets the road spinning at a different rate than the speed of the bike.  I.E. coming down from long wheelies (sometimes wheel not turning at all) and jumps. 

To OP:  check the tire pressure

• Like 5

I'll have to disagree here.  When running lower pressures on any tire it will slip if it meets the road spinning at a different rate than the speed of the bike.  I.E. coming down from long wheelies (sometimes wheel not turning at all) and jumps. 

To OP:  check the tire pressure

that is a good point. if the OP rides predominantly dirt, running low tyre pressures, and then takes to the highway for a wheelie then a rim lock may be more useful than i suggested.

Its all just speculation until he posts his tyre pressure and what he rides though.

• Like 2

On the DRZ I ran around 23 psi front with no rim lock, never an issue. On my mxers I ran rim locks and around 16 psi front and still saw some movement, never enough to cause an issue. But 16psi without a lock I could see an issue potential.

So id tray to stay around 20 psi atleast, if you want to avoid rim locks

• Like 2

On the DRZ I ran around 23 psi front with no rim lock, never an issue. On my mxers I ran rim locks and around 16 psi front and still saw some movement, never enough to cause an issue. But 16psi without a lock I could see an issue potential.

So id tray to stay around 20 psi atleast, if you want to avoid rim locks

Simple...this^

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

Hey so i keep getting a front flat on my drz.. Seems to happen when wheeling or jumping::::: let me explain.. Tube seems to tear/rip around valve stem area... What i want to know is..... Tighten stem nut or leave loose???... Idk this is 3rd flat.. New tire.. Its not spokes or anything.. Its always the valve stem area where the leak is...

got rim locks ? 

yes = run whatever pressure you want, but getting below 12psi = pinch flats

no = run >18psi or risk spinning the tire on the rim = valve stem ripped out

next time you have the tire and tube off, replace the rim strip with a new one, and put an extra one on too....

first rim strip goes over the spoke nipples normally, after checking the rim for sharp points from rock strikes. 

second rim strip goes OVER the RIM LOCK, to hold it in place while replacing tubes/tires. you'll see what i mean when you do it. it makes changing/patching a tube so much easier on the trail. you can push the rim lock (from the threaded side) away from the rim to get the tire bead under it, and it won't fall into the tire because the rim strip is holding it in place. it's realllly nice. ?

while the tire/tube are off, spin some sand paper on a pencil around the rimlock hole and the valve stem hole (on the rim) to remove any burrs from the corrosion of the valve stem and rim lock threads. it should be smooth with no sharp edges anywhere. 

take note of the condition of the valve stem area. once rust starts, it WILL KILL the valve stem rubber around it, wear it away, and/or rot the rubber too. if you grease this area with waterproof grease, it will last longer but only do it lightly. too much and it will hold sand/dirt and abrade the area even worse. 

hope it helped ?

• Like 4

Yeah so i pulled tube out lastnight... The valve stem is just about severed....

Im going to buy

New tube

Rim lock

Rubber spoke sealer/insulator... Getting 2.....

Im sure that should end my sudden front flat tire syndrome.....

• Like 1