Sign in to follow this  

Keep getting front flat... HELP...

Whenver i do wheelies or jumps i keep ending up with front flat tire!!!!..

It seems tube is tearing around valve area... I tightened stem nut...

Am i suposed to leave loose do tube can flex, IDK.... I need some experienced person to advise...

Its not spokes etc.. Its always valve stem area leak.... I dont have a rim lock, my opinion that it won't help though...

See if you can reproduce the conditions in a little more controlled manner. Try a jump or whatever causes the flat, stop immediately, and look and see what's out of place. Make sure that the stem nut is tight. Maybe also check and see if you have anything sharp or rough inside the tire that'd be causing damage.

Rimlocks exist for a reason. That is absolutely the reason your tubes are ripping.

Edited by SupermotoAbuser
  • Like 5

Whenver i do wheelies or jumps i keep ending up with front flat tire!!!!..

It seems tube is tearing around valve area... I tightened stem nut...

Am i suposed to leave loose do tube can flex, IDK.... I need some experienced person to advise...

Its not spokes etc.. Its always valve stem area leak.... I dont have a rim lock, my opinion that it won't help though...

Here are my two suggestions..

1. NEVER tighten the valve stem nut to the rim. When you get the inevitable slippage of the tube/tire on the rim, it will tear out the valve stem with only the slightest movement.  I never even use a valve stem nut, it's useless in my book.
  2. Get a rim lock for sure.  Make sure the bead is in place before really cranking down on it. 
  • Like 4

Rimlocks exist for a reason. That is absolutely the reason your tubes are ripping.

That and tightening the stem to the rim , it needs room to move a little. 

Here are my two suggestions..

1. NEVER tighten the valve stem nut to the rim. When you get the inevitable slippage of the tube/tire on the rim, it will tear out the valve stem with only the slightest movement.  I never even use a valve stem nut, it's useless in my book.
  2. Get a rim lock for sure.  Make sure the bead is in place before really cranking down on it. 

Adding to this, buy a good heavy tube mine were about 38 bucks each but like tractor tubes  , not those 12 buck ebay tubes , tighten all your spokes , and replace the rubber rim band 99 cents. Wash and dry the inside of the tire and coat it and the tube with a good amount of powder i use the anti- monkey butt . http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Parts/Chemicals/Additives/brand/ANTI-MONKEY-BUTT/Butt-Powder/p/33185_29195?mr:referralID=1b1db78a-ea89-11e3-bc04-001b2166becc&gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOijGSV2kgEe6cX3MoeOblRdZIymNcSJOR-2qKewQ6scDw_wcB

• Like 1

Really, what kind of dirt bike is this, NO RIM LOCK ! Oh, he must of purchased it used from one of the weight zelots here! We wouldn't want to have any addition rotational mass, now would we?

Yes now reading stuff online, even a dunlop video recommends using the nut and the cap together. I will not tighten it anymore.... It's a02 drz400s.. Pretty sure they dont come with rim locks.. Im gonna add one now..

Thx for everyone help...

• Like 1

Didnt really think a front tire needed a rim lock.. A rear def... Also dunlop says dont tighten stem nut .. But rather secure it against valve cap... To lock together.... Some say,, THROW NUT AWAY.... But ive learned.. DONT TIGHTEN NUT..... BAD IDEA...

• Like 1

Didnt really think a front tire needed a rim lock.. A rear def... Also dunlop says dont tighten stem nut .. But rather secure it against valve cap... To lock together.... Some say,, THROW NUT AWAY.... But ive learned.. DONT TIGHTEN NUT..... BAD IDEA...

You can apply "torque" to the front tire under braking. This causes potential for the tire to turn on the rim. Take a white paint marker or soap stone. Make a mark radially along the tire sidewall and onto the rim. Do some jumps and hard braking. Stop and look at the mark to see if it's separated into two marks. This will be your indication if the tire has rotated on the rim. If so then install a rim lock...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

You can apply "torque" to the front tire under braking. This causes potential for the tire to turn on the rim. Take a white paint marker or soap stone. Make a mark radially along the tire sidewall and onto the rim. Do some jumps and hard braking. Stop and look at the mark to see if it's separated into two marks. This will be your indication if the tire has rotated on the rim. If so then install a rim lock...

I believe this is the best experienced explanation you are going to get. Take it or leave it. However I will add my 2 cents I don't use a front rimlock either. Bridgestone heavy duty tube. Either a rimlock or possibly a heavy duty tube might fix your problem. If you're trying to find a fix without taking that tire off eventually I think you really don't have a choice unless you like bent rims.

I always finger tighten only the valve stem nut.

Edited by Mike38