Sign in to follow this  

Battery fit? Seat won't go back on!

I just put a new battery in my 530 xc-w and now the seat won't go back on. It seems like the battery is a little large for the box but the specs are correct.

It's a YT5L-BS  4 1/2 inches wide  2 3/4 thick 4 1/4 inch tall

Am I missing something really simple here?

Thanks!

I just put a new battery in my 530 xc-w and now the seat won't go back on. It seems like the battery is a little large for the box but the specs are correct.

It's a YT5L-BS  4 1/2 inches wide  2 3/4 thick 4 1/4 inch tall

Am I missing something really simple here?

Thanks!

How often do you take the seat off your bike? I take mine off quite regularly 2013 350exc for washing and such. I had recently installed a seat concepts seat and after installing the seat I noticed that the seat pan will not slide quite forward enough to rest in the correct spot to install the seat bolt without a bump with the palm of my hand to shove it forward into the correct location. Before I figured this out I had no indication that the seat was not all the way forward and could have swore my battery was in the way.

Have you sat the old and new batt side by side to make sure they are the same?

I had the same issue recently on my 450 exc and had to trim the plastic a little on my seat to make it fit properly. My replacement battery was a little taller than my previous battery. You also do not want plastic rubbing on the cables, or it will eventually cause problems. A Dremel works good too for taking off a little at a time.

Place a dab of grease or something on the battery mount the seat then remove check for contact points.

I'm not familiar with the 530 but on RFS it was a point contact at the corners of the battery, so I just drilled it out the seat base with a small holesaw.

Now if it touches anything it's the seat foam.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

It might be the wrong battery. The older RFS bikes used a YTZ, where the later use a YTX. The Z is larger and wont fit properly.

I have also seen slight size variations on cheap batteries that were slightly too large, even though they were the correct battery number.

Now if it is just a matter of having to give the back of your seat a solid whack to get it in place, that is common and not indicative of a problem.