Sign in to follow this  

Case-reed 250cc motor

Saw over on VitalMX some guys talking about best 250 motors and they mentioned the new "rocketship" KTMs are case-reeds. I googled it and sure enough, case induction 250 motor. Having a 2004 CR250 and constantly reading how worthless that motor is compared to the 2001 powerplant, that sorta irked me. Why is the KTM such a beast of a motor, and the CR motor is a "turd"? I asked over there, but no response. Is it just because of the power valve? The carb? Port timing? Just confusing to me. I wouldn't mind a rocketship motor, but I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. My bike handles like a dream, at least.

honda put little to no effort into making the 250 "run" good. the 450 was the focus after 2002.

For sure, which sucks, but what specifically makes it not run as solid as the KTM motor? So this issue isn't necessarily the case induction, it's other variables.

With a little porting the Honda case reed engines can be rocket ships as well.  On my 06, just shaving the base by .030" and some very minor transfer porting by Eric Gorr and my bike is a rocket ship.  Will stand up in 4th gear with a minor tug on the handle bars.  My 05 CRF450r with a fresh top end wouldn't do that.

With a little porting the Honda case reed engines can be rocket ships as well.  On my 06, just shaving the base by .030" and some very minor transfer porting by Eric Gorr and my bike is a rocket ship.  Will stand up in 4th gear with a minor tug on the handle bars.  My 05 CRF450r with a fresh top end wouldn't do that.

Yeah mine's not super slow by any means either, I guess I should actually ride a KTM with similar settings before I assume everyone's praise of the bike is worthy haha  :bonk: I have the '05 base gasket with the PWK carb and it's very good, but not some low-end monster like my YZ was. 

A few years ago dirtbike magazine had procircuit build them a Mcgrath replica CR250. I think it was an 06 or 07. I believe I remember them saying it was a rocket approaching 60 hp. Maybe someone with a better memory can chime in and confirm the article.

I'm curious to see how mine would compare to a new YZ or an SX. I'm sure the motors might be stronger...but by how much? Also of course a fast motor isn't too much to brag about w/out handling and suspension...which the 3rd gen CR's are amazing at.

Yeah mine's not super slow by any means either, I guess I should actually ride a KTM with similar settings before I assume everyone's praise of the bike is worthy haha  :bonk: I have the '05 base gasket with the PWK carb and it's very good, but not some low-end monster like my YZ was. 

My cousin had raved for years about how the 03 ktm 250sx he had was the most powerful 2 stroke 250 he had ever ridden.  I let him ride my 06 and he said they were comparable(he said my 250 was not more powerful) but my motor was not nearly as unruly as the ktms was.  Having never ridden an 02-04 CR I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with the motor to make it good, but I would think that Eric Gorr could probably help you get what you want out of it for far cheaper than buying a new KTM and you would get to keep the Honda handling.   

• Like 1

My cousin had raved for years about how the 03 ktm 250sx he had was the most powerful 2 stroke 250 he had ever ridden. I let him ride my 06 and he said they were comparable(he said my 250 was not more powerful) but my motor was not nearly as unruly as the ktms was. Having never ridden an 02-04 CR I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with the motor to make it good, but I would think that Eric Gorr could probably help you get what you want out of it for far cheaper than buying a new KTM and you would get to keep the Honda handling.

For sure, and like someone else said the handling is just as important, if not more important, than the motor and the 3rd gen Hondas handle great. I'd save up for a revalve before I'd send my motor to EG just because that's a higher priority, as it probably should be!

• Like 1

For sure, and like someone else said the handling is just as important, if not more important, than the motor and the 3rd gen Hondas handle great. I'd save up for a revalve before I'd send my motor to EG just because that's a higher priority, as it probably should be!

For sure, that is going to be the next thing I do with mine. 

I have ridden both back to back many times the main difference is the Ktm has way more bottom and tapers off up top. The honda has no bottom and doesn't fall off as much. The Hondas jetting has a huge effect of performance, this will make it vary wildly from bike to bike that why some people have fast cr250s and some have slow ones. Hp for hp I don't feel out gunned by any Ktm and depending on conditions might have a slight advantage.. Slick areas or tracks that are very fast make the bike a lot more fun to ride. Plus sending the jug out to PC or gorr will change that completely..

A few years ago dirtbike magazine had procircuit build them a Mcgrath replica CR250. I think it was an 06 or 07. I believe I remember them saying it was a rocket approaching 60 hp. Maybe someone with a better memory can chime in and confirm the article.

That is correct.  I tried to find the article to post, but it seems they took it off the web.  I believe it was an 06 & it was making around 55-57 HP atrw.   I have the PC mods & can tell you it makes more power than my 10 CRF450r that is rated around 53-54 HP.  The PC motor mods combined with the 3rd gen CR250r chassis is as good as it gets IMHO. 

Getting a honda to run hard is easy compared to making a KTM handle and suspension to work!

I've had my 2000 stock jugged bike and a few other mods like pipe, trick carb etc dam near flip me over in 4'th not tugging on the bars in sand whoops coming out of third gear corners on the upshift......

That is correct.  I tried to find the article to post, but it seems they took it off the web.  I believe it was an 06 & it was making around 55-57 HP atrw.   I have the PC mods & can tell you it makes more power than my 10 CRF450r that is rated around 53-54 HP.  The PC motor mods combined with the 3rd gen CR250r chassis is as good as it gets IMHO. 

I just need a spare $2k for a PC suspension job and for them to give me a 55-57 hp 250 motor. Willing to sell my soul and/or body.

I just need a spare $2k for a PC suspension job and for them to give me a 55-57 hp 250 motor. Willing to sell my soul and/or body.

LOL !  If your a serious rider the PC mods will give you more than you can use on any track.  The motor is amazing it just keeps pulling & never signs off.  

Edited by H4L

LOL !  If your a serious rider the PC mods will give you more than you can use on any track.  The motor is amazing it just keeps pulling & never sings off.  

What's funny is there's no way I'd be able to use it properly, but the "guy" in me still wants it!

• Like 2

What's funny is there's no way I'd be able to use it properly, but the "guy" in me still wants it!

I thought it was funny that your willing to sell your soul.  It's more affordable than you think,  not sure what PC charges now, but I paid around $350 back in 2006 to have the cyl. & head done.   If your planning on getting your suspension redone FC has good mx valving for a better price.  Also had PC do some 03 suspension for around $300 back in 06 since I had an inside connection.      

I thought it was funny that your willing to sell your soul.  It's more affordable than you think,  not sure what PC charges now, but I paid around $350 back in 2006 to have the cyl. & head done.   If your planning on getting your suspension redone FC has good mx valving for a better price.  Also had PC do some 03 suspension for around $300 back in 06 since I had an inside connection.      

Shipping is just really spend, so all the prices go up quite a bit for me. I'd really like to get a revalve and maybe some cylinder work in the near future. Just to take my bike to the next level. I probably need updated brakes by then too, haha.

I have ridden both back to back many times the main difference is the Ktm has way more bottom and tapers off up top. 

you can read back 10yrs of mag shooutouts and see ktm never had lack of power or rpm. obviously the particular bike you were riding had mechanical or tuning problems